Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 RMW doesn't have a steering stabilizer. I want to add one. I'm planning to replace the center link, so I'll get one that can accommodate a steering stabilizer. But the frame doesn't have the bracket for the other end of the shock. What's the simplest way to remedy that? (short of welding one on)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My 93 RMW doesn't have a steering stabilizer. I want to add one.
I'm planning to replace the center link, so I'll get one that can accommodate a steering stabilizer.
But the frame doesn't have the bracket for the other end of the shock.
What's the simplest way to remedy that? (short of welding one on)
Apart from doing nothing, as it only helps a lil bit if the roads where your car drives are poorly maintained, the simplest and safest way to add the bracket is to do exactly what GM did:
WELD IT.

(late reaction to 96 Black's post:
If bolted properly with stout bolts welding is not needed.
Then again proper welding needs no bolt at all.
For some reason, there are many frames with steering stabilizer brackets welded on by GM without any steering stabilizer ever installed, and many others without any steering stabilizer replaced for many years.)

Reactions: GoremanX

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Bolting it on. If done stoutly enough, should not need follow-up weld at a muffler shop.

(late reaction to Marky's post: )
What he said. Yah, even brand new they don't carry all that much dampening force to be putting a lot of pressure on the mounts.

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Interesting, must be a year thing.
My original early 95 Caprice wagon frame had the bracket although Caprices did get the stabilizer.
My new frame from GM has the bracket,

That said , I have read many posts of guys putting the damper on Impalas and many , who would admit it , said it was a worthless install.
Still others who removed it and said they don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Yep, discovered one had blown at some point during a couple of years that I had not done an undercarriage inspection on my last FWB of 16 years. I had never noticed any difference in stability or road feel one way or 'tother. However that did not stop me from getting a new one along with doing an entirely new frontend replacement when that car hit 130k. It strikes me as more of an over-compensation for the over-boosted pinkie finger steering on VSS optioned cars.

And if that ain't bad enough, I included a new one again 2 years ago when doing an all-new frontend on my replacement FWB. At only 55k.

Fun Fact: The centerlink mount and frame bracket are on opposite sides dependent on the division - Cady, Buick, Chevy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting... I was mostly interested in the steering stabilizer because I plan to run 255/70-15 tires up front, which seem like they'd be prone to following the bumps in the road. Also, farther in the future, I was planning on a slightly faster-ratio steering gear. I found that the stabilizer made a very noticeable difference on my '98 K2500HD, but then it's running very tall commercial tires on 19.5" wheels, so that's a totally different frame of reference... I suppose I can wait until the tires are on there and then decide if I feel a need for a stabilizer.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
When I can retain 100% oem design integrity for just $35 after already in for $250, then so be it. Otherwise, not hyper-critical. I have a nagging suspicion the stabilizer for that 3/4-ton be measurably more bigger/stiffer.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Dupe post :unsure:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a nagging suspicion the stabilizer for that 3/4-ton be measurably more bigger/stiffer.
Dunno about the valving, but the shock itself is pretty much the same size near as I can tell. There might also be differences in range of motion.

·
Registered
599 Posts
For a much bigger improvement than any steering stabilizer:..stabilize the front frame horns.
Proof? Start car...Watch the power steering pump move the frame when the wheel is turned while parked. Install front frame brace, watch the frame not move when turning the wheel.
From their web site:
F-Body Pro-Touring
Sway bar brace.
Reduce chassis flex due to heavy sway bar loads and from side loading caused by today's
performance tires, also help avoid ripping out the front sway bar bolts,
Note, will not fit with hollow sway bars, bolts NOT included...
Actually, that turns out not to be the case, 1/4" spacer between the brace and the frame is all you need and not with the Hotchkis hollow bar, nor the Hellwig hollow. Only the Quickor needs the spacer, either the hollow 1 1/2" or solid 1 1/2" (both N/A as Quickor is N/A. Herb Adams (also n/a) 1 3/8" solid needs a spacer.

70-74 2CF-841 $89.00
also fits 64-72 A-body

75-81 2CF-842 $89.00
also fits 78-96 impala

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey that's a pretty inexpensive piece! Coincidentally, someone else in another thread also suggested a front swaybar brace. Makes sense, too since that's the only part of my car's chassis that doesn't have reinforcements. Cool, thanks!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
These cars ain't getting any younger. Making our frames last longer should be priority one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts