Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm not sure if the title clearly indicates what I mean..... the interior door post cover (it's where the upper part of the front seatbelts comes out of the post) is often a little frayed from people rubbing against it when they enter the car.... has anyone reupholstered these? I'd like to see some pictures if you have..... mine are black, and as opposed to being worn from fraying, it looks like they've been cut. Either way, I'd like to either recover them with black fabric to return to stock, or if there's anything else nifty that someone else has done, I'd love to see it.... anyone?

(my car's got black interior)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bring it to a good interior shop, the same happened to my '95 from me getting in all the time with my keys & phone on my belt.
Mine was starting to wear away exposing the black plastic underneith and i had a factory "Toupe" colored interior. Brought it to a reputable guy and he re-did both posts so they would match, charged me about $50.00.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Or...

Find a Fleetwood with the matching leather interior to yours and have the seats skinned of their leather. Have a competent uphosterier reskin the posts with the matching leather. You may get lucky and find a shop that can actually match the leather without having to resort to this. While you are at it, have the Windshield pillars done too. No more problems with drooping or abbrasions. Folks will notice.

This does work.

Richard Snipes, 4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
630 Posts
I redid them in my black 96 limo. I used OEM material and it was pricey. It was touch and go, but I finally finished them. After installation in the car, they looked like factory. I don't know if I would do it again. I'd probably look for a good upholstery shop and avoid the stress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A&B pillar upholstery

My cloth pillar material was dirty, worn and saturated with cigarette smoke stains. After searching Ebay for gm upholstery cloth, and ordering a few small samples, I was able to locate a perfect match for my adriatic blue interor and ordered a few yards....

The pillars are easy to remove, but use a small trim tool to gently pry out the windshield pillars as they have clips you dont want to break. The b-pillar trim just gently sits over the seat belt assembly, held on by pressure.

Dont just rip and tear the material off..gently remove and layout on the ground flat, so you can use these as templates when you cut your fresh cloth. You will be able to see exactly where to cut around the seat belt fold.

I lined the interior of each pillar with FatCat, a sound deadening membrane similar to dynomat or similar product. After prepping each pillar with a light sand, I gave a light dusting of spray adhesive and began pulling the cloth from one end to the other in place. The bonus of using the sound mat is it could hold staples from the backside , which gave the cloth a snug fig, while also reducing rattles.

Stockinteriors.com also sells headlining/pillar material if you wanna stay cloth and not black leather.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I covered them.... in grizzly fur

Hi all,

many thanks for the responses. I took a bit of a different approach, and I'll post pictures ASAP.... Cadillac purists will hurl, automotive enthusiasts will heave, my kids refuse to get in the car, etc, but I LOVE it.

I figured it was such a simple piece to remove and so smooth to glue fabric to that I could try a few things, so I went to JoAnn Fabric (a large fabric retailer here on the west coast that no red blooded male wants to be seen at, but I managed to get out without being seen) and purchased some of their 'grizzly fur' in black (to go with my black interior). In a nutshell, it turned out much better than I expected..... I'm thrilled with the results. If I get sick of looking at two grizzly legs inside my car, I can always redo them. For the meantime, I'm very pleased. I'd seen this stuff used as headliner at numerous hot rod shows, and the best application I'd ever seen of it was when used as a rear deck cover with subwoofer ports. When the subs "hit", the fur would move..... looked hilarious, and I vowed to use the stuff at some point in the future. For the time being, it's a novelty that looks surprisingly "right", but I can replace it quickly and easily when required.

As I mentioned, I'll show pictures in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also have that adriatic blue interior. If you happen to come by the info on the correct material in this color, please post it.

Thanks,
Paul

My cloth pillar material was dirty, worn and saturated with cigarette smoke stains. After searching Ebay for gm upholstery cloth, and ordering a few small samples, I was able to locate a perfect match for my adriatic blue interor and ordered a few yards....

The pillars are easy to remove, but use a small trim tool to gently pry out the windshield pillars as they have clips you dont want to break. The b-pillar trim just gently sits over the seat belt assembly, held on by pressure.

Dont just rip and tear the material off..gently remove and layout on the ground flat, so you can use these as templates when you cut your fresh cloth. You will be able to see exactly where to cut around the seat belt fold.

I lined the interior of each pillar with FatCat, a sound deadening membrane similar to dynomat or similar product. After prepping each pillar with a light sand, I gave a light dusting of spray adhesive and began pulling the cloth from one end to the other in place. The bonus of using the sound mat is it could hold staples from the backside , which gave the cloth a snug fig, while also reducing rattles.

Stockinteriors.com also sells headlining/pillar material if you wanna stay cloth and not black leather.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When I got my Fleetwood in 2003 that driver's side fabric was shredded from the previous owner. I pulled the pillar and used the part number molded on the inside, emailed Dal, and he shipped me a new one for 30-ish dollars.
That was a few years ago, but it was brand new from GM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.