Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 roadmaster sedan. My turn signal switch in the steering wheel emitted little bit o smoke.

Now id like to put a switch on the dash to turn them on manually. Which color wires from the column are for left and right signals?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It's not that simple,due to the brake lights go through the turn signal switch also...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just need to figure out which wire closes the 12v on the flasher relays. Those are seperate from the brakes

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
As 1slow96 point ed out , it is not that simple.

There is only one left rear "bright" wire and one right rear "bright" wire .

With the switch in the mid "rest position, the white from brake switch wire is connected to the two rear wires to act as brake lamps.

If you turn right , the white brake wire stays connected to the left rear brake , right wire disconnects and the wire from the flasher connects to it and right front.
Turn left, the opposite happens

If you hook the flasher wire to a on-off-on SPDT switch and run each side to the bright lights on each corner, you will get turn lamps, sure, but lose your brake lamps.

See attached.
To answer your question , purple

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there not 2 different wires from column that i can use to switch to restore original functions?

also what page is that in the carline book i cant find it? the schedmatic

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Be a lot easier to swap out the column,or simply replace the turn signal switch,and/or it's wiring. Than to try re-inventing the wheel...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was trying to avoid that. I dont have the right tool to take it apart. I cant find the correct wiring diagram

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Get another column then,they're common as dirt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
B-Bodies came with undersized wiring in the column.

Replace it. That is your only realistic option.

If you tow and have the lights tied in that can cause issues as well as running higher wattage bulbs.

Not having the tool is a poor excuse since most any auto parts store will loan the proper tool.

Rodney

1 - 9 of 9 Posts