Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they sell anything like Ground control for these cars? I want to have the ability to raise or lower the ride height without compromising the smooth ride. The way this is acheived is an adjustible perch on the shock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In front, you can use Big Block Chevelle coilovers from HAL. Be sure you beef up the lower control arm spring pocket, though.

in back, coilovers don't make sense and thus none are made.

Probably time for you to look under your (new to you) car, Dave. You don't have McPherson struts under there :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There actually was a rumor that some company (don't remember which) was working on a coilover setup for the rear. How would you suggest beefing up the lca spring pocket? BTW I don't have the wealth of knowledge and experience like you but I'm not totally b-body illiterate. I know what they look like in and out and I can spell I-M-P-A-L-A.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'll take another approach here

A coilover setup for the rear would require some re-engineering of the suspension mounting points.

You can't safely use the shock mounts, because they aren't nearly beefy enough to handle supporting the entire weight of the back half of the car. You would bend them (best case) or outright shear them off :eek: in very short order.

The spring mounts aren't set up to take "bolt in" components like a coilover. They are set up for pigtailed ends that simply rest on the mount both upper and lower.

Thus, you're not gonna have a "buy it, bolt it on and play" solution here. Combined with the relative ease of changing rear springs on these cars (about a 20 minute job), there has been practically zero demand for a rear coilover solution on these cars.

Like I said, crawl under and take a look (yes, that is a serious suggestion!). Once you see it, you'll see what I mean.

As for the front LCA spring pockets, they just need some more metal in them around the shock mounting holts to properly support a coilover type shock. SAGMO member Steve Bowman can show you the dramatic results sometime of what happens when that reinforcement isn't there....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
OK, I'll take another approach here

A coilover setup for the rear would require some re-engineering of the suspension mounting points.

You can't safely use the shock mounts, because they aren't nearly beefy enough to handle supporting the entire weight of the back half of the car. You would bend them (best case) or outright shear them off :eek: in very short order.

The spring mounts aren't set up to take "bolt in" components like a coilover. They are set up for pigtailed ends that simply rest on the mount both upper and lower.

Thus, you're not gonna have a "buy it, bolt it on and play" solution here. Combined with the relative ease of changing rear springs on these cars (about a 20 minute job), there has been practically zero demand for a rear coilover solution on these cars.

As for the front LCA spring pockets, they just need some more metal in them around the shock mounting holts to properly support a coilover type shock. SAGMO member Steve Bowman can show you the dramatic results sometime of what happens when that reinforcement isn't there....
Ah, That makes a lot of sense now. So it looks like there is no real easy solution for ride height adjustability. I'll probably end up with a "set it and forget it" setup in the front and have an air bag setup in back since I plan to use it for towing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I have never seen one of those systems that could be used for towing.....the metal sleve you put around the strut wouldn't be able to support that kind of weight. Bags are better anyways....hell....just bag the whole car!!!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.