Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pic or know what the difference in drop between the two springs are? I want to be lower but don't want to give up a lot of ride quality. I have heard hotchkis are a good compromise but if they don't lower anymore than stock SS springs I might as well save myself some cash and pick up a used set of springs. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The Hotchkis do lower more than SS springs - they're Impala SS lowering springs.

Ride quality is great though. Don't fear! :D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
when I was looking into springs for mine, I had called and the places I called had the same part number for the rear springs between the RMS and the SS..thought that was weird. I went with sprints but yeah the ride is rough. Looks killer though

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with 2tonbuick. I bought my RMS with the Sprint springs and stance is great, but I haven't met a speed up or ramp that I haven't kissed and it was unbearable until I put 225/60 tires on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the Pro-Forged autocross springs, the front seem too soft and I have to be careful over speed bumps etc. I would like a stiffer spring in the front.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone use the Canuck Motorsports springs on a Roady? Saw them on Ebay and was curious about the ride. I wanna drop my RMS but not super low. Their Impala 1.5" springs should be about 2.5 to 3" Im guessing on the Roadmaster.....

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Just cut your OEM springs 1/2 coil for each 1 inch drop that you want. You also have to remove .060" from the shim stacks for each inch you drop the front, (.060" for 1 inch drop, .120" for 2 inch drop, .150" for 2 1/2 inch drop) or you will get positive camber and poor tire wear. Measure the height at the fender lip before you do the springs, and then again after the spring change. Cutting the springs will make them a little stiffer, because you are shortening the length of the wire. You can not cut the rears, so you would have to put specific lowering springs on the rear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone use the Canuck Motorsports springs on a Roady? Saw them on Ebay and was curious about the ride. I wanna drop my RMS but not super low. Their Impala 1.5" springs should be about 2.5 to 3" Im guessing on the Roadmaster.....
I would stay away from the Canuck Motorsports. I am running those on my 94 RMS and they are pretty low. And they have "dropped" more since I put them on. Not a good ride quality for a daily driver. Looks "cool" if you are into the lowered look. I have the 2" front and 2" rears. The price is nice but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just cut your OEM springs 1/2 coil for each 1 inch drop that you want. You also have to remove .060" from the shim stacks for each inch you drop the front, (.060" for 1 inch drop, .120" for 2 inch drop, .150" for 2 1/2 inch drop) or you will get positive camber and poor tire wear. Measure the height at the fender lip before you do the springs, and then again after the spring change. Cutting the springs will make them a little stiffer, because you are shortening the length of the wire. You can not cut the rears, so you would have to put specific lowering springs on the rear.
Dont forget to remove the shims. I didnt and my tires are wearing very, very poor. Live and Learn. :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Vogtland is great as well. they have almost the same exact drop as hotchkis...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just changed my Pro Forged springs for Eibach progressives, rear height the same, front up 1.5", no more speed bump angst, rides much better and front doesn't feel so soft on hard corners. All that being said, does anyone want to buy my old springs?

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Stock 94 SS springs. The front of the car feels too soft. If the spring ever come out, a set of 750lbs/in spring with a minimal drop vs this will go in. The rear feels pretty good, but the front just floats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts