Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Are there any tricks to getting at the right side O2 sensor? (94 LT1) I have the special offset wrench to mechanically get the sensor off, but I don't see how I can get my hand up (from below) into where the electrical connector is clipped. Do you have to, or does it help, to drop the exhaust pipe? What a design!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't recall any special trick or severe loss of skin off my hand. Just slid my hand up in there. Not much difference in L or R side for me.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
It's way up there. I know only one hand will work - can't remember which. You'll cuss, but it's easier if the car is way way high.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think I recall using a long screwdriver to work on the plastic tabs that go through the hole that holds the connector 'up there'. I may have just ended up prying on it (wrecking the plastic 'push through holders'. I do remember I couldn't see what I was doing very well. Anyways, when I was done, I used a nylon tie strap to hold the connector back in place (and that was tough to do (position properly) as well). The main thing is to try to stay patient and if you need to apply force, try to make sure it doesn't mess up the actual connection of the electrical pins.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just got under car and stuffed my hand in there. took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I just shoved my hand up there and very painfully turned the wrench. It didn't seem to want to let go, but a lot of swearing got it moving.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Harbor Freight and auto parts stores sell a shorty O2 sensor socket w/ an offset 3/8" ratchet/breaker ball hole. That should allow a bit more clearance than a standard O2 sensor socket. In the past I was able to use a 7/8" wrench to get it out, but still a tight area. On my current car since I am replacing the catalytic converters anyways I said screw it and just left it in the old cat converter :). - Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've been dealing with this very issue. I was able to loosen the sensor, but have no way of getting my hand in there. Waaay too tight of a space....I would love to know some kind of trick to it....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've got some big hands and arms and I had no problem at all with the front of the car on jack stands going from underneath. Took 5 minutes each, unplugging and removing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the car on ramps. The drivers side was a piece of cake. But on my car, it almost seems as if I'm going to have to unbolt the the lead down from the manifold. Maybe I'll try jack stands, but I really don't see it helping me much?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have that tool....I can get the sensor loose fine....I just cant get my hand up in there to unplug the harness.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I could see the wire harness plug through the wheel well. With a long screw driver i just set it up against the part that passes through the metal to hold it on there and jammed the screwdriver with my hand to pop it off its mount. The new sensor comes with a new mounting tab so its ok if the old one breaks. After you pop it off there is alot of extra wire to bring it down to where you can unhook it by hand(thankfully).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts