Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, my 1996 Impala SS's rims have begun to get milked and it looks like the clear coat is coming off of them. Any ideas on how to curb this from happening? That, or ideas for places to go and snag some rims, either new old stock or redone GM ones. The classic GM 17" mags on these are so clean and I want to stay original, much like the rest of the car. Thanks a bunch for the help!

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
You can:
  • strip and polish
  • paint them
  • powder coat
  • get them pro-refinished to look stock (strip, machine, paint inserts, clear entire wheel)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the look of the SS rim as well. I picked up a used set to refinish for my wagon. I stripped the original clear and smoothed out some of the rash. Then I sprayed it with a product called gun kote. It is supposed to be durable and resistant to almost everything. I messed up the baking process and had to wire wheel everything off to start again. That is where I’m currently sitting. Project lost momentum.
I also destroyed a set of center caps due to a baking problem. Bought a set of aftermarket and got them to turn out ok.
I have a few pics I took along the way if you want to see them.
Would help to have a proper oven instead of a salvaged piece of junk.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I need to either get the set of oem wheels redone again after a poor quality work by a refinisher, or, try to strip it all and polish myself. Several of my original centers are no longer pristine, so I'll thank you for the source you found. Or, I'll just google to the hilt when I start the stripping.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Several of my original centers are no longer pristine, so I'll thank you for the source you found.
I just ordered a rather generic set from ebay with a solid black center instead of the Impala logo. The seller was bbrestorationparts. The set of four was $70, I believe. I went with the solid black since I don't have an Impala anyway and was thinking of doing some custom WagonSS decal in the center.
I'll attach a photo of one of the originals that I destroyed with too much heat and a photo of one of the new ones that turned out ok. I didn't feel too bad about destroying the originals since they were in rough shape anyway. Several of the fingers on the back were broken. I have no idea if I'll like the color of these once I get them on the car. I can't visualize that stuff.
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3821.JPG

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Very helpful. I'll be following up with the set they have available in chrome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this now.

After looking for aircraft stripper and coming up empty handed, I went with Citristrip. After two applications with a pressure washing in the middle, the faces are ready for paint. However the inside of the barrels are being stubborn. The clear coat that I know is there, will no come off chemically.

Ive since taken to using a wire wheel and 3m stripping attachments. Working good so far but no where near as fast as using the citristrip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts