Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 94(?)-96 Roadmaster has this junk tray, the little carpeted drawer in the dash where a Caprice (or a 91-93 RM) has the cupholder.

From just briefly looking at it (I don't own the car quite yet) it looks similar in shape to the regular Caprice cupholder. Actually, it looks more like a 91-93 cupholder than a 94-96 cupholder.

Mechanically, would either cupholder be a direct-fit replacement for this junk drawer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My '92 wagon has the "junk drawer" too, just above the ashtray/lighter. You mean there's a cup holder available to fit there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by ParkRNDL:
My '92 wagon has the "junk drawer" too, just above the ashtray/lighter. You mean there's a cup holder available to fit there?
I guess so, then - I thought all 91-93s had a cupholder there, regardless of model.

Look at this 92 RM:

Does yours look like that?
My 91 Olds and 91 Caprice look just like that, and the slim drawer just above the ashtray is indeed a cupholder in those. The remainder of the dash being equal, I assume that if you have a plain drawer there, a cupholder drawer ought to replace it easily (once you figure out how to pull it out past the stops).

What I'm wondering is whether the 94-96 RM dashboard's junk drawer is alo compatible with either the old cupholder drawer above (this is a pretty good cupholder) or at least the 94-96 Caprice type (which does not work as well, but much better than nothing)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '93 RMW has the drawer also but most of the Caprices I've seen in the yards, regardless of year, have the cup holder. I've been looking for a good tan one to match but no luck yet. From what I can tell just pull the drawer out and install the cup holder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody got a pic of the cupholder -out-?

given how worthless the ones in the center console of my wagon are this'd be a great mod if it can hold a bottle of water around a corner...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll snap a pic of mine in my 91 caprice(w/supholder)out, and I'll post it later on today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Knightshade:

given how worthless the ones in the center console of my wagon are this'd be a great mod if it can hold a bottle of water around a corner...
Both hold a 12oz can or quivalent (such as a water bottle) decently, and a larger item next to that not quite so well. For both, the 91-93 version is better than the 94-96 version. (The 94-96 version also has a stupid-looking ashtray (?) module behind the 12oz hole which can be pulled forward to use - when it's pushed back, its spring-loaded lid gaps open some and looks stupid. You cannot remove it altogether.)

...whaich is why I'm wondering whether the 94-96 Roadmasters require a 94-96 Caprice cupholder, or whether they'd accept a 91-93 type.

A picture of a 94-96 RM open junk drawer for comparison would be appreciated too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think "cupholder" is an awfully generous term for that damn thing....
The one in my '92 Caprice is just this side of useless. It's full of change at the moment, I'd be wary of putting a drink in that....I think it would be in my lap as soon as I turned a corner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Daves70:
I think "cupholder" is an awfully generous term for that damn thing....
The one in my '92 Caprice is just this side of useless. It's full of change at the moment, I'd be wary of putting a drink in that....I think it would be in my lap as soon as I turned a corner.
You haven't seen the armrest-mounted RM version - the 92 Caprice type is rock solid by comparison.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.