Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Roadmaster section, but thought I might get some more traffic in this section.

Opposite of the Impala rear wheel being too far forward, the pic of my RMS below shows the front wheel is slightly too far rearward relative to the fender - both sides exhibit this:

Is this a design issue like the Impala rear wheel problem, or is this a factor of spring sag (I'm on the original springs) and/or caster angle (I don't have my current caster specifications in front of me, but would any amount of caster adjustment be able move the wheel forward relative to the fender by 3/4" or so)?

I've noticed some Fleetwood pics on the site show this "flaw" as well. I don't notice it on the Impala/Caprice.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Maybe have your Alignmemt checked and look at your caster specs., most likely it will be very negative. Possibly something bent??? Also sagged springs would affect tire wear and camber setting also.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What size tires are those???.....They look smaller then SS's

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size tires are those???.....They look smaller then SS's
See the RM guys aren't the only ones to notice! ;)
LOL - I know, I know! I should have asked for everyone's opinions before buying tires.

imported_Bowtie - They're 235/55/17's. According to the tire calculator on the Miata site, there's a difference of 0.8" in diameter between this and the stock 235/70/15. I don't think they're a rubber band like a 40 series, but now I'm being told differently :D Either way, the centerline of the wheel itself does not line up with the center of the fender opening, and that's what I was curious about.

I think you are right that sagging springs are most likely to blame (I know there's nothing bent under there). Goldmaster posted some pics of his car with new springs and it seemed to cure this "problem."

I appreciate the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.