Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about some future work on my Roadmaster wagon and know the bumper/grille setup has been replaced on a few of these things with a Caprice setup. My current bumper skin is a little bit of a mess (dings, tear etc) -- but I think the RM versions are much harder to come by than the comparable Caprice skins at the local salvage yards.

How big a hassle is it to switch from the Buick setup to the Caprice? Anyone with experience care to weigh in on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You should just need the bumper skin and the grille, I'm not sure about the bumper support if it different or not it shouldn't be though.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Bumper support is different. You CAN use a Chevy cover over a Buick support and with a Buick grille.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bumper support is different. You CAN use a Chevy cover over a Buick support and with a Buick grille.
That's interesting -- does the caprice cover have to conform to the added "depth" of the Roadmaster grille? Just trying to visualize how that would work out.

Thanks,
-Leland

·
Registered
499 Posts
From experience trying to save a buck, the Caprice cover "sinks" into the RMW support drop quite pronouncedly. You can try to build it up welding in a bridge, but Caprice bumper supports are easy to find used, and about $55 for a made in Taiwan aftermarket piece.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have an aftermarket Impala cover over a RMW support. I had to compress the bumper support struts and fill the indentation for the grill. It doesn't need to be structural so there's no need for welding or any real construction. Just fill the hole.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your good info and thoughts.

·
Registered
769 Posts
...I had to compress the bumper support struts...
Please explain why. Does the RMW bumper stick out further than the Caprice wagon? I worry about doing this intentionally.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Initially, the RMW bumper support seemed to have the same depth but when I installed the Impala bumper skin, it didn't fit. Compressing the struts allowed it to fit. I don't see a reason for concern in regards to compressing the struts. The implication is that the struts are somehow cushioning the impact in the event of a frontal crash but if I can easily compress the struts with a hammer, the safety margin provided by the struts is a joke and completely unnecessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts