Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 RMW with limited slip diff clunks and bangs alarmingly on corners, fast or slow, tight or wide, forward or back. I plan to drain the diff and clean it and replace the lube with Amsoil gear lube and add Amsoil SlipLock, which is supposed to fix things, but I know nothing. Should I dredge out all the goop I expect to see in the diff? Can I/should I use some kind of spray or solvent to remove every last bit of stuff from the cogs and the housing? Especially, I read here years ago that there's an issue with the OEM gasket, maybe something about it not letting the lube go into the axles, but I forget. All wisdom appreciated.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The noises probably indicate that your LS needs to be replaced. Not sure what lube will do...BUT, see the below pics to understand why you want the gasket with the slots cut in it.. The slots allow oil being spun off the rear gears to splash the inner wheel bearings. Without them, your bearings are doomed!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Before you do anything, I would advise you to simply put one bottle of GM posi additive in it. That will likely fix your issues. If you do want to drain it, use the proper gasket, the 70w90 of your choice, and a bottle of GM additive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plan B would be...

Finally got the good FelPro gasket and drained the diff and got it all cleaned (no cracks or wear or burrs) and replaced w/synthetic 75/90 and 2 little jugs of GM additive and...no change that I can see or hear. On really tight turns, esp if the wheels are on different levels, I still get the nok-nok-nok. Is it the synthetic? I quit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, B BOdy. Finally figured out how to see big versions of the pictures ("open link"). That was a help in understanding the issue. I still have a knocky diff, but I'm a bit smarter. A bit.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
From you description, it points to a worn out posi. Get an aftermarket one to replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts