Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, before I get shot, I have searched for this thread and have been unsuccessful (either that or I'm just not good with technology).

Anyways, I have a 96 RMW that I use as a daily driver, the car is a total cream puff, everything works beautifully… With one exception, the rear wiper.

When I turn on the switch, you can walk to the back and hear the motor turning, but the arm doesn't move, however, if you move the arm down the window with it on, it will complete the cycle by returning to park.

Any ideas on what this could be? Wiper Transmission?

Thanks
-Spencer

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
I have not disassembled a rear wiper motor unit. It could be a relay, or a broken gear/lever. If you want to know what is inside, you are probably going to have to take it apart. If you need one, I have one for sale.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Yep, Fred's got the anaswer...

There is probably something amiss with the gear and cam inside the wiper motor unit. I'd be surprised if it is repairable but you never know until it is apart. Pretty sure it's designed to be a replacement only item. I don't recall ever hearing of a wiper motor failure. They seem as bullet proof than a 1930's toaster. I did find that the one on my wagon was not working last weekend and it turned out to be I did not have the hatch window fully closed. There must be a circuit interlink that keeps the wiper from operating when it would self destruct or do damage. For all the griping about our sweet old cars they are pretty thoughtfully designed.

Good luck with the repair/replacement.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
There is an interlock. It is located on the gate release solenoid/latch bracket. The gate glass latch can not activated except in park and neutral.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.