Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering if i could run a 17x8 rim with a 4in backspace on a roadmaster sedan and clear the fenders... if it helps i would be running a 235 55 17 on the 17x8s.. looking into better rims than my 15 inch steelies when i get my tax return... thanks guys

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
You should be safe with that size. The wheels will be about 1/2 in further out, but you can use 9 1/2 inch rims with the OEM offset and still not hit, so you should still have about a half inch or so of clearance.

To find out what the OEM offset is, measure the original rims, and you may even get a little closer. I believe the original offset is -6mm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be safe with that size. The wheels will be about 1/2 in further out, but you can use 9 1/2 inch rims with the OEM offset and still not hit, so you should still have about a half inch or so of clearance.

To find out what the OEM offset is, measure the original rims, and you may even get a little closer. I believe the original offset is -6mm.
i was worried because i had 235 75r15s on 15x8 truck rallies and i had rub so i had to switch back to the 15x7s...:/

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Your truck rims probably do not have enough offset to the outside.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If it rubs just on one side...it's prob your axle not being centered. (each car is a little different)

You can also (cringe I know) use a grinder and take out some of the lip edge...just be sure to clean and paint it well when you are finished.

I had to do that on an OCC I had. Even after I tried centering the axle it would still rub a little in a turn. Took some of that fender lip off and it was good as gold.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts