Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going to a 7/16 stud does the hole need to be machined out any? Or is the hole bigger then .375(3/8)
The reason I'm asking is because the arp studs I'm looking at are 7/16 20 in and to make that thread work that hole has to be .3906

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If you have aluminum heads, they are already threaded to 7/16 coarse.
If you have iron heads, you will need to pull out the pressed in studs and tap threads into them 7/16 coarse.

Nab

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Obviously! I'm asking on iron heads what size is the hole 3/8 or a little bigger then threads
the ?

If you have aluminum heads, they are already threaded to 7/16 coarse.
If you have iron heads, you will need to pull out the pressed in studs and tap threads into them 7/16 coarse.

Nab
the answer

OP, if you have the right equipment to pull iron "pressed in" studs and tap/thread 7/16" course threads that is what you need to do to install either 3/8 or 7/16 rocker studs to iron heads. Otherwise send the heads to a machine shop.

AL heads are already taped for 7/16" course thread

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can someone reply that's not a ****ing idiot!
Why do people have to comment for no reason? If you don't know the answer to question asked then why comment?

So I guess I'll answer own question in case anyone else needs answer!
The hole size is .375 (3/8) so rocker studs that are 7/16 14 will work, and the 7/16 20 will NOT work without counter boring hole to .391 first

The 7/16 14 has to be at least .368 before tap can be done and 7/16 20 thread has to be .391 before it can be tapped

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Really Chris how did either of them answer the question?
And I've gotten very little help from this forum! I will admit there people that know there **** about these cars but there are very few! And if me being the way I am is gonna keep half of the idiots from posting then it's well worth it

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I thought the coarse thread comment solved what he was looking for. I'm pretty confused as to what's going on here... All I know for sure is, I'm sure the three of the guys who commented on this thread have more knowledge of this b-body in their pinky toes, than you do, so I'm personally inclined to believe you are not properly conveying whatever info you wished to receive. Nab builds these things as some kind of sick fetish, and I just tune Chris out when he talks to me because I have no idea what the hell he's saying!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Listen up dip****. Roger and NAb both tried to understand what your were doing and were guiding you to understand that you need to tap the hole for 7/16-20 thread. To find that hole dimension look up a tap chart. .3834" to be precise.

DO NOT press in a 7/16 stud into any hole you removed a pressed in stud from. Its pointless.

Ruin your engine if you want to.

All others, don't follow the OP if you came here from a search

I'm out.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
OP. You are talking like you are a chart reading "machinist." If you have the skills to tap a hole, I assume you have the tools and ability to measure a drilled hole. So measure, and report back. That way you have given back to the community. What I gather you are trying to ask, even though it wasn't clearly conveyed - " What is the actual ID of the holes in the iron LT1 heads that the pressed in studs are installed? and can I just tap the hole already on the head when I pull a pressed in stud out without having to re-drill so i can install a screw in stud "

The people that are responding above are some of the most experienced and friendliest people on this forum. I am surprised by your angry retorts.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
When going to a 7/16 stud does the hole need to be machined out any? Or is the hole bigger then .375(3/8)
The reason I'm asking is because the arp studs I'm looking at are 7/16 20 in and to make that thread work that hole has to be .3906

Please state the ARP stud number .
I think you are misreading the spec , I think you will find while the upper thread is 7/16-20 , the thread for the head will be the common 7/16-14
As you already know, the tap drill for this is a "U" at .3680

The stud hole is a press fit for a .375 stud, so one might guess safely .374

So at .006 over the tap drill size, that's MORE than close enough for a hole to start with .

Goes without saying you , of coarse, know the boss height requires lowering for any stud with a hex seating on the head .

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,201 Posts
notnekasurvav you need to relax or you will be out of here.

People tried to help you. If they misinterpreted the question, then rephrase it but definitely don't act like an jerk or no one will want to help you ever again.

And, really, I wouldn't be commenting on anyone elses grammar. For real.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts