Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
I’m seeing guide plates in that picture. Seems to me I’ve read here before that many guide plates don’t fit quite right and need to be “adjusted”. Sorry, no first hand experience.

· Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
403 Posts
Check that rocker vs. the other rockers to see if there is a difference.

· Registered
6,538 Posts
If you are using Guide Plates, use ISKY "adjustable" ones so RR lines up dead nuts to valve tip. You may need to grind some of the fingers down on adjustable ones to move the 2 halves closer together, normal, what they are designed to do

when your 918's break, replace with the Lunati LT1 spring kit

· Registered
232 Posts

· Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Your first post , you said you 1417-16 which is a set of self align for a V8 which would be OK.

Now you say you have 1416-12 which are NON self align . If you have non self align rockers , no wonder they wander off the valve tip!
BTW 1416-12 is only 12 rockers so one can only guess you mean 1416-16 ??

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your first post , you said you 1417-16 which is a set of self align for a V8 which would be OK.

Now you say you have 1416-12 which are NON self align . If you have non self align rockers , no wonder they wander off the valve tip!
BTW 1416-12 is only 12 rockers so one can only guess you mean 1416-16 ??
Yes,1416-16, If non self align rockers,what to do?

· Premium Member
5,328 Posts
To add , 1.6 rockers + more spring pressure on stock pressed studs not the smartest plan even with a stock cam.
Sure lots get away with it,,,,,,,,, large number of cases , it will pull studs.
Seen it more than twice first hand ,where guys havn't got away with it.

· Registered
232 Posts
To add , 1.6 rockers + more spring pressure on stock pressed studs not the smartest plan even with a stock cam.
Sure lots get away with it,,,,,,,,, large number of cases , it will pull studs.
Seen it more than twice first hand ,where guys havn't got away with it.
For sure. I didn’t realize how little the press in studs could take until recently when I started looking into rebuilding a set of heads. IMO, They are basically ok for a stock rebuild, but aren’t appropriate for any kind of performance.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

· Registered
6,538 Posts
OP

unless you are going t have the iron heads machined for screw in studs, you will need to run slf aligning RR. I still believe your will have to much lift with that cam for iron head push rod passage interference.

Stock iron head with stock cam will work fine with 1:6 RR. Crane Gold "narrow body" are the only ones though that clear stock valve cover baffles without trimming.

Back in the day the Crane 227 cam with iron heads and a split 1:5/1:6 RR set up was a common mod. IIRC the 1:5's needed to be on exhaust side

1 - 17 of 17 Posts