Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't lazy I read alot of the past threads :D But I still am unsure. The wagon is ready to go into the shop. I wanted to shave the tailgate and add a roll pan with license slot.Also wanted to fill the roof rails in. All I can find is the fiberglass ones.

What do you guys think? Are they a PITA?Also, not to argue but which brand would you buy? Thanks.

DJ
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your looking for quality then don't buy the glass ones, like off ebay like i did. Actually rear roll pan came out alright, haven't installed the roof rack fillers...yet. And my front bumper was a PITA to fit correctly.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by z28coprice:
If your looking for quality then don't buy the glass ones, like off ebay like i did. Actually rear roll pan came out alright, haven't installed the roof rack fillers...yet. And my front bumper was a PITA to fit correctly.
Alot of the vendors in the old threads no longer sell the pans.I gotta have a good fit. The body shop I have is excellent

The only roof fillers I found were on Ebay. It seems it would be a butt load of work to put them in or no?Thanks for your time.

DJ
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by DJ:
The only roof fillers I found were on Ebay. It seems it would be a butt load of work to put them in or no?
Mooneyes still sells the fillers. Installation is cake. You remove the rack cross bars, you remove the rack rails, you set the fillers in place and you put in the screws. That said, I never liked the look with the screws. I ended up having the screw holes filled in and the pieces attached to the car. Looks much better IMO but I have a problem if I need to fix the rear window wiper motor.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by KC Clark:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ:
The only roof fillers I found were on Ebay. It seems it would be a butt load of work to put them in or no?
Mooneyes still sells the fillers. Installation is cake. You remove the rack cross bars, you remove the rack rails, you set the fillers in place and you put in the screws. That said, I never liked the look with the screws. I ended up having the screw holes filled in and the pieces attached to the car. Looks much better IMO but I have a problem if I need to fix the rear window wiper motor. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks. So you dont have to fiberglass over them or anything once they are put into place?

DJ
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Wagon Boy:
filled mine in with metal. so they won't crack.
For some reason my user name changed :confused: Anyways, did you buy the metal ones? If so where? Do they look alright just painted and put on? Thanks.

DJ
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to use metal fillers for the completely smooth look, they'll have to be made to fit the car. They're essentially ~1" wide by X feet long strips to fit in the channel that's covered by the factory rack (& fiberglass strips). The exact width required will vary from wagon-to-wagon and even side-to-side on the same wagon.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by KC Clark:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ:
The only roof fillers I found were on Ebay. It seems it would be a butt load of work to put them in or no?
Mooneyes still sells the fillers. Installation is cake. You remove the rack cross bars, you remove the rack rails, you set the fillers in place and you put in the screws. That said, I never liked the look with the screws. I ended up having the screw holes filled in and the pieces attached to the car. Looks much better IMO but I have a problem if I need to fix the rear window wiper motor. </font>[/QUOTE]Do you have any pics?Thanks.

DJ
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by 92SS wagon:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KC Clark:
Mooneyes still sells the fillers. Installation is cake. You remove the rack cross bars, you remove the rack rails, you set the fillers in place and you put in the screws. That said, I never liked the look with the screws. I ended up having the screw holes filled in and the pieces attached to the car. Looks much better IMO but I have a problem if I need to fix the rear window wiper motor.
Do you have any pics?</font>[/QUOTE]I don't have any decent "after" pics online right now. Here is a "before" pic:


You can see one of the screws holding on the filler piece. In an "after" pic, you wouldn't see that screw.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top