Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a roof console for a 2001 Durango on ebay and it looked like it might fit so I got it. Trial fit was pretty good so I SEM painted it to match and removed the trip computor. Took the big step today and cut a hole in my headliner! I used straight pins to outline it and cut about an inch inside of that. There are a couple of double wall pieces of metal luckily so I had something to start with when mounting. I made a drill stop out of a couple of roll pins so I wouldn't drill thru the roof. I drilled a couple of holes in the dome light portion under a brace and it is mounted with 3 screws now (one in front). I think I will epoxy a small piece of wood to the inside of the roof above the sunglass holder and make an additional bracket. I still have to do the wiring, it has homelink, map lights, and sunglass holder, I am planning on filling in the front trip computor location and mount a remote radar detector in that space (Whistler Pro3600). Next project will be the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Impala SS[/COLOR][/COLOR] console and turning my 60/40 seat into buckets! Anyone know a good source for blue carpet?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got the console finished today, from Impala gray to Roadmaster blue. I also added an illuminated power outlet. Need to get new carpeting then I can do it all at once.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Coming along nicely!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Looks good, nice work. Another nice option for an overhead console. It is scary cutting into your Headliner.

Have you also seen the Astro/Blazer overhead? This is another nice option, a little longer and incorporates the dome light right into the Console light, 4 map lights, Temp, Compass, and other compartments.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here's a Night shot of My Safari overhead.
Cant see it, but you get an Idea of how its like
at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at those but I wanted a more compact roof console, just needed homelink, some extra light and a place for the radar detector panel. Already have outside temp in the climate panel and compass in the mirror.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Already have outside temp in the climate panel and compass in the mirror.
Ahhh forgot your in a Roady;)
Kinda wanna do that mirror swap
To have that compass aswell.....
Just cause. lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Found some 3.5mm id cloth covered vacuum hose at BAP and finished the pass seat lumbar. Pulled the d/s and cut the center out, fixed the lumbar lines, installed the center console and seat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Finished everything up today, roof console wired & working, floor console wired, working, mounted. Put a phone bracket in forward cupholder, usb plug in power outlet, made a cushioned carpeted liner for bottom of console and one for the front storage area in matching carpet. Storage above ashtray wired for usb & aux. Will get a remote radar detector for the blank spot in roof console as soon as I have some loose cash.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Very nicely executed - Looks really clean

·
Registered
449 Posts
interior looks good

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just ran across this thread, looks really nice. I love the idea of outlets in the tray above the ashtray. Great stuff.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, I have some more tricks up my sleeve. I will post updates as they are completed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The console is awesome. I am in the process of restoring one for my LTZ which is actually the same color (it was called Very Dark Sapphire in the Caprice). How did you get the old carpet off the console? I've been working at it but it is almost breaking the console. Did you disassemble the console to paint it. If so, how did you do that without breaking anything? What kind of new carpet do you use for the console and where did you get it? Again, it looks great! Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peeling the old carpet off was a big PITA! I did it over several nights, when I got home I would spray some carb cleaner on a section as I passed thru the garage. Changed clothes, grabbed a beer and went after it with a gasket scraper. I did it in small sections so I wouldn't get discouraged, also I have a little arthritis in my hands so I couldn't do a lot at a time. Got the carpet & SEM paint at a local upholstery supply store. The bottom of the console was broken out so I made a metal bracket to mount it and made a new "floor" covered w/carpet.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
looks like it was factory installed, very nice

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have always disliked the skinny shifter handle on my RMS. Since I work at a Honda dealershp, I picked up a knob from an '04 Pilot and installed it- much better!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my Whistler Pro-3600 today, also installing a back up camera and a blind spot camera. Will post pics as it goes along.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts