Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for someone to do some light machining on four (4) C5 rotors.
They currently have 5 on 4.75" holes and small (about 2.75") center hole.
I want clearance holes added for the 5 on 5" lugs and the center hole opened up to 3.055-3.060
Is there anyone in Texas that can help me?
Richy with the RedWagon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike-
That was a neat little search you did.
I haven't had any experience with any of these shops.
I have had parts ruined by shops that were inexperienced, so I'm being cautious.
I realize that the machining is not difficult, I may even be able to rig up something in my garage to do it, although it would be time consuming.
I was hoping that someone in Austin, could recommend a shop that they have used to do similar work. Or maybe a local Impala guy would step up and let me know he can do it.

I'm still hoping.
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're correct that it's not that complicated of a machining job, but it is very important that they're done right. When we machine them, we pop the 5x5 pattern and hit them with a ream, then interpolate the center bore and the chamfers on all of the new holes. Every rotor should be dialed in based on the original center bore for a true center because the 5 x 4.75" hole patterns are not very true in our experience.

On the rears, depending on the rotors you choose to use, in addition to the 5x5 pattern and center bore, you will probably need to open up the hat area where the axle flange seats and possibly cut down the OD of the intergral rotor brake drum if you're using your OE parking brake backing plate (like with Bill Harper's kit). The C6 rotors are finish machined, the C5 rotors are not in this area and may interfere with the lip on the backing plate.

As for machine shops in your area, you might try the automotive machine shops first since you're more likely to find fellow car enthusiasts and possibly get a better deal that way. If they won't do it for you, they may know someone who will. Up here, the going rate for machine work is $50-$75 per hour, give or take.

Good luck,
Tobin
KORE3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Tobin. I have bought from you in the past and you have some real quality products. In fact, I may end up selling these rotors to some local C5 guy and just buy the completed rotors from you. I sent you a PM because I'm still trying to decide what direction to go.
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. the backside of the rotor axle face of the C5 rotor has to be cut to 6.625".
back to the lathe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave- Is that 6.625 specific to the wagon?
Or do you know if wagon and Impala SS have same bolt face diameter on end of axle.
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That 6.625 was measured off of the back of a sedan rotor, and compared to the wagon axle flange, they are the same.
(unfortunately...those rotors and calipers are still sitting on the workbench.. :( )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.