Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Routing 4 Gauge

434 views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  college slacker 
G
#1 ·
I have some 4 gauge wire that I want to route from the engine bay to the trunk. Preferebly along the passenger side. I am not seeing any way through the fire wall on either side, drivers or passenger. I can see that it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to drill a hole under the passenger side dash. Is this the way to go?

I also need to run the RCAs from the radio back. Should I just run it along the drivers side? I know to keep the RCAs away from the power.

- Brett Smith

G
#3 ·
I agree. When I installed my stereo on my former Caprice I ran it from the battery over the passenger side front fender down to the frame. Then I fed it up into the body/frame gap all the way to the rear axle. Then I went inside a pre-existing hole in the frame and ran it to the back. Then I drilled a hole in the trunk floor and went up and in. Keep in mind too that I used 0 gauge so 4 gauge will be easy as hell to do.

For the RCAs, I ran them to the passenger side under the dash. I then pulled all the trim for the door sills. You can feed the line under the carpet and reinstall the trim and you own't even see it. When you get to the rear, feed it through the edge where the rear seat back installs. It's an invisible install when you're done.

G
#4 ·
I ran 0 gauge through a grommet I put in passenger side firewall. I then was able to run it through the stock plastic wire run all the way under the rear seat and into the trunk. Under the car in the frame rail works well also.

G
#5 ·
Drill a hole below the BIG connector on the firewall on the passenger side. I slipped 4 gauge thru there (with a grommet) easily.

And if you REALLY wanna get stealth, do what I (and others) did. Drop the inner fender on the passenger side (about a dozen bolts), and route the power wire INSIDE the fender. On my car, you see the power wire from the battery to the fuse (mounted on bottom of the coolant bottle) and the wire disappears into the fender there. You never see it again :D. It's a bit more work, but the results look a lot cleaner!

G
#7 ·
I'm gonna do what's easiest. Run it along the frame. THis is my first install, so why make the install harder/longer than need be? BTW, what length wire will get to the back (is 15' plenty?)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.