Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here's my question. I have a 1980 Caprice (technically the wrong forum I know) Which I have built up with 350hp small block, TH350, posi 8.5" 10 bolt etc etc etc. I have a rear roll bar so I know it's a genuine F41 car BUT. I really want to know what other RPO's were factory on it, I have looked for a build sheet everywhere. It's not visable under the front seats, it wasnt under the rear bench, wasnt under the dash pad, wasnt under the headliner, not under the carpets front or rear.... Is there anywhere it could still be lurking?? I have ALL the history on the car, service book with VIN stickers still stapled to it (service info sticker missing) even the bill of sale with dealer options listed. BUT NO STUPID BUILD SHEET! If I cant find it can I get this info anywhere else? It's a 1980 so dont say check the glove box as its not got the SPID service info in there (pre 84 dark age car) Any ideas??

·
Registered
446 Posts
So, here's my question. I have a 1980 Caprice (technically the wrong forum I know) Which I have built up with 350hp small block, TH350, posi 8.5" 10 bolt etc etc etc. I have a rear roll bar so I know it's a genuine F41 car BUT. I really want to know what other RPO's were factory on it, I have looked for a build sheet everywhere. It's not visable under the front seats, it wasnt under the rear bench, wasnt under the dash pad, wasnt under the headliner, not under the carpets front or rear.... Is there anywhere it could still be lurking?? I have ALL the history on the car, service book with VIN stickers still stapled to it (service info sticker missing) even the bill of sale with dealer options listed. BUT NO STUPID BUILD SHEET! If I cant find it can I get this info anywhere else? It's a 1980 so dont say check the glove box as its not got the SPID service info in there (pre 84 dark age car) Any ideas??
There re 2 places usually either in the glove compartment or under the trunk lid.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
take your vin to the dealer and ask if they can print you off a build sheet. With something that old it might not be available.

Try www.compnine.com
I don't think an '80 has a standard 17 digit VIN so compnine isn't going to work. Didn't the 17 start in '81?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
On my '79, I found the build sheet under the carpet, on the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
BigChevyGuy,

you can purchase the actual dealer order invoice from GM Heritage Center for $50.They go back to 1977 for B-Chevy.It will contain much info,similar to info on a window sticker and also some of the major RPO codes.

By late 70's into 80's most build sheets and body/chassis broadcast sheets were thrown in the glove box or loose in the interior and when dealer prepped all this paper was tossed.

HuSSker,is your sheet from your 79 a full build sheet,or a body broadcast or chassis broadcast sheet?There's a difference.Just curious.What plant?

I know some GM B car assembly plants used a single build sheet(Janesville,Doraville,Southgate,Tarrytown,etc....)Many used the 2 sheet system.....a body and a chassis broadcast sheet,which together was the equivalent of a build sheet.

Here's a couple pics: both are from 70 Impala's I owned.One is a full build sheet containing both body and chassis/drivetrain info and the other is a body broadcast sheet.I couldn't find the chassis broadcast sheet in the car.So I had 1/2 of the info contained in the full sheet pic. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
HuSSker,is your sheet from your 79 a full build sheet,or a body broadcast or chassis broadcast sheet?There's a difference.Just curious.What plant?

I know some GM B car assembly plants used a single build sheet(Janesville,Doraville,Southgate,Tarrytown,etc....)Many used the 2 sheet system.....a body and a chassis broadcast sheet,which together was the equivalent of a build sheet.

Here's a couple pics: both are from 70 Impala's I owned.One is a full build sheet containing both body and chassis/drivetrain info and the other is a body broadcast sheet.I couldn't find the chassis broadcast sheet in the car.So I had 1/2 of the info contained in the full sheet pic. Jim
Hi Jim,

Mine looks like your first pic, listing some options by name, to include an external speedometer gear adapter mounted on the transmission. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I know it was built in a factory in CA.

As you can imagine, being under the carpet for more than 25 years by the time I ran across it, it was looking pretty rough. I might have to get a fresh one from the Heritage Center.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the help guys, My car was built in Janesville. So I guess this means there is probably no sheet in it? I'm thinking if I cant find it i'll just give up on it. As I have changed the driveline now, it's kinda irrelivant. Just really wanted to know for sure if it was 100% a F41 suspension car and if everything else was original. I'm pretty sure it is just, would have been nice to see it in black n white is all.

Anyone know the part number for EnergySuspension front sway bar mounting poly bushes 1-1/8" size? I have done all mine apart from these

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Hi Jim,

Mine looks like your first pic, listing some options by name, to include an external speedometer gear adapter mounted on the transmission. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I know it was built in a factory in CA.

As you can imagine, being under the carpet for more than 25 years by the time I ran across it, it was looking pretty rough. I might have to get a fresh one from the Heritage Center.
Yep HuSSker I bet as fragile as these sheets are it wouldn't be in good shape.All the Cali plants(Van Nuys,L.A.,Southgate)all used the good one page combo sheet.You're lucky to have one for it,very cool.

Same goes for our 94-96 trim sheets under the right front seats,if not pulled by now,are in bad bad shape from my experience.I've removed many in pieces last few years for others.Like old newspaper crumbling.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Oddly, I've never looked for my build sheet in my 94. I wonder what kind of condition it's in since you guys are talking about it. My car has spent most of its life, even before I've owned it, in the garage (not sure if that would have any effect on the condition of the paper).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts