Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and have done my research but still many different answer, do you use rtv on the waterpump gaskets when replacing the pump or not , or go with a different product?

some people use none. some people use it on both sides others on just the pump side

Which way is the best and what have you done when replacing yours?

I am using the felpro kit this time again, blue seals (others may use different)

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Apply a 'very thin film' of grease to both sides of those two waterpump gaskets.

Scraping RTV off is a PITA - and not necessary.

Those gaskets will just about fall off next time you R&R the pump.

RTV is cheaper than a gasket - which is why more and more auto makers are using it. Sux.

my buktoofifty

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I've done a few of these now and never used silicon, save a small dab just to hold the gaskets in place while I settled the WP into place.

IF this is a new WP, you may find that you have to file or hacksaw a small portion off the passenger side upper channel, so do a dry fit-check first.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
old pump, hopefully not as old as the 240,000 + mile odometer thats in my car ( pray that the police mechanics just replaced the WHOLE lt1 ) lmao!!!

anyways i wasnt around the last time my mechanic did it , im doing it this time im prettty sure he only said B4 it was on one side which made it easier to scrape off,( pump side i believe)

thanx just trying to get all opinions in one threadcwm4 obviously ill know when i take it off what he did.(when the fukin son goes down, ill have a corona and wait)

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
With the Nice black paper GM gaskets I put them on dry. They stick on the BLOCK GOOD if you ever remove the water pump again!

With the flimsy blue felpro gaskets I lightly coated both sides so they stay in place. No leaks. I first installed them dry, Read below.

When I took off the water pump after a bolt was leaking then the bolt decided it did not want to BE a bolt any longer, I removed the WP and what do you know, the felpro gaskets looked pretty mangled. They fell apart in my hand like a piece of wet note book paper. They did not leak, But they are not strong! I wanted my car done, Used the Felpros again applied a light coat of RTV. all is well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if my parts department didnt blow balls where i live id prob go get the gm set but $10 for the felpro isnt bad, i have heard they are weak though. again thanx for op.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
My $02 is gaskets should not need sealer aka RTV.....with that said I use a VERY thin film of RTV on both sides...especially on LT1 WP's which are more of a PIA to replace than other cars.

just did a few WP's on my other cars...used RTV and had to pull a WP off after a week (crap AutoZone) and just used a razor blade to scrape off any old crap. Since I put on a very thin layer on gasket it was no big deal to get off block

Woods posts grease which is what "old school" guys did for years and does also work

FWIW NAPA carries the thicker "dark" gaskets like OEM and if buying a WP get one from NAPA.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Woods posts grease which is what "old school" guys did for years and does also work
"Old School" - you got that right Roger.

40+years ago, my first boss [at a boat repair marina] taught me to film grease all gaskets - with few exceptions - exhaust manifold gaskets and any 'all metal' gaskets.

The above tip has honestly saved me more time than I care to think of - that time NOT being spent scraping old gasket and rtv/silicone/glue.

And after performing the above, I've never had a gasket leak after proper installation and torque application.

Latest example: '01 Jeep Cherokee diff - no cover gasket; RTV'd from the factory.

Pulled the cover and scraped off the RTV. I always keep gasket material on hand these days [wonder why?]. Put a very thin film of grease on the cover surface and set it down on the gasket paper - perfect outline for the 'new-replacement' gasket.

Film greased both sides of the gasket prior to installing the cover. This gasket has now been removed and reused 3 times. This cover will come off again this weekend for another fluid change - and my money is on using this gasket a 4th time - if not I'll make another one; cake.

Your mileage may vary. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. I've always enjoyed gaskets just falling off - or fairly easily removed with minimum effort read: no scraping.

But there is always a whinner - "what about the front and back edges of the LT1 intake manifold - no gaskets!"

I tell them: "use RTV - properly" And most guys don't know what 'properly' is.

And Roger, thanks for the salt in the 'age' wound - you're a real PAL! [jk dude]

Old School Still Works - doug

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I used the felpro ones and put indian head gasket shellac on both sides of the gasket. Did it in the fall and no leaks.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Listen to old school Doug.
I dont know what that makes me, a middle aged buck that likes old school stuff.
The grease works great.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i took off my w.p yesterday there was only rtv on the pump NOT the block so i did the same when installing , this is my .02. it came off very easily like this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i've sealed it with just rtv and its possible when done right but chances are you're going to be doing it more than once. use the gaskets and a dab of rtv on both sides to seal the imperfections in the metal. i used the gasket and some nissan rtv and haven't had any issues. besides the waterpump will probably start leaking out of the weephole before the gaskets fail. im on my 4th acdelco water pump, pieces of junk i tell ya. ive heard of a better water pump but atleast gm puts a lifetime warranty on the water pumps now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts