141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Long time ago

I don't have my SS anymore. But, I did have the Scott M's mod installed. It worked. What worked for mine is when you would jack it up the left or right fended edge would rub on the driver or passenger edge on opening the door. Basically, the fenders sagged while on the jack. The mod worked and I noticed less front end body work shaking. I had the mod installed under the 100k mile mark. Ran the car 249,800 miles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Help quickly please. The above axle bushing. Is that a rubber stopper blocking access to the bolt. I cant get stopper out.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Bushing woes

Two above the axle towards the center of the body are not held in with bolts. They are held in place by the weight of the body. Jack the body off the frame about an inch,or so. Then just reach in between the body/frame,and grab them. They should come right out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
long time ago

I had the body mount bushings installed in a body shop. The SS was in for front end repair. Not my doing. Since it was there, I handed them a bag of bushings for the missing spots. Unlike the 9C1, there was a production delete for bushings in the 1 (?) and 2 (?) positions. It worked.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Fastener Specifications

All,
This may seem like a good area to *PING* our good fred Kred Keihl regarding this question, but I am hoping to find the (2) different lengths (As near I can tell from the image from the Summit Kit; attached) for the of flange-head shoulder bolts, and the flat washer diameterS and thickness?

While I'm grateful for anyone to reproduce/package something for our cars, the stainless (18-8?) kit seems a bit exorbitant with their pricing.

I'd like to see what I can do with a local supplier, with and without any discount I'd receive thru my job.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
In case you're wondering, here's what the bushing above axle looks like:

It doesn't have a hole for a bolt, it just sits between the body and the frame, which also clearly means there's no lower bushing.

Here are the busted factory bushings compared to the energy suspension bushings:

I hope they are clear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Bushing Issue seemingly comes down to:
A.) You were smart and bought up everything back in the day.
B.) You mixed and matched OK pieces from dead cars.
C.) Utilized something meant for other cars
D.) Did the easiest thing and bought Energy Suspension bits.

Has anyone solved the hardware problem?

These cars are now 20+...mixing and matching up "similar" GM repop parts from the resto parts bin is not as simple as that might seem. I kinda ran into the same issue for my '92 K1500... I bought ES bushings, but their hardware is kinda laughable in that it lacks the thick metal cups and instead utilizes wimpy washers and tube inserts. Most of my original hardware was toast, (New England 150K). Thankfully, GM made millions of these '88-'98 C/K trucks and carried some over stuff to the next Gen, making it a PITA, but comparatively easy to cobble stuff together. This is one more thing that makes me wanna bang my head on the wall about these cars... The aftermarket wont invest in many things because they dont see a big return on the investment required to tool up... They are cutting their own throats in two ways; The number of older "performance" vehicles declines each year. ...and tied to that are the potential new customers, "lost" because the lack of replacement/upgrade parts kills any interest in the "newer" old platforms that are still somewhat plentiful and inexpensive... 3rd Gen F Body's and '78-'88 G Body's were all but ignored until recently... now they are gathering a renewed interest... but the majority built are long gone.

Rehashing whats been posted previously, the supply of NOS GM components is exhausted. Junkyard scrounging is fun, I personally love finding lost treasures, but many of these cars are long gone... (Thank You Oblamo for the Cash 4 Clunkers Program)... finding low-mile, rust-free, junkyard cars that arent twisted into pretzels, is practically unheard of, albeit theyre out there.

Has anyone found a bolt kit or found a resource(s) to cobble something together?

·
Registered
38 Posts
^^^^^^ Anyone???!!!??? ^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
20,298 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
My question is in regards finding resources for GM style hardware and rubber bushings. Im plenty aware of the urethane stuff and mentioned urethane in the prior post. Id prefer rubber body mounts over the stiffness of urethane. Less vibration transmitted into the car's body is better for the car and my comfort... I have used urethane bushings in other vehicles. Great for certain needs, but its just too stiff for a car driven every day &/or used for long trips. (On New England's pothole-ridden roadways).

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It may already be mentioned in this thread somewhere, but Bill (NavyLifer) I believe has a thread where he was looking into getting replacement rubber bushings made. Not sure if that ever got traction but you may want to check with him or look for that info. I KNOW I would be down for a set if they were ever made.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
If one is industrious enough, a bushing can be made from urethane window adhesive. You set the two "washers" at the proper distance, and fill the void with window adhesive. You can wrap it with wax paper to shape the outside, and by adjusting the diameter of the urethane, make them as compliant as you want. The window adhesive can be a little expensive, but when nothing else is available, the price is irrelevant. You can probably make 2-4 bushings with a tube of adhesive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
4DoorSS, yup, it was in this thread, thus my question.
I know a lot of info was "lost" on here, but after reading through this thread, there was no answers.

For noobs to a particular platform, its frustrating to read dozens of threads and not find an answer... worse when someone says "Search Threads". Not always as easy as one might believe, although certain things are so asked and answered all the time, that its tiresome. That said, "good" info is hard to aquire in general, except for "Sticky" Gems. I typically cross-reference info because there is so much bad/mis-information info out there.... and Farcebook is wholly chaotic.

As for making bushings out of urethane goo, still doesnt solve my problem for rubber. When I was a kid, the old timers used hockey pucks and layers of industrial conveyor belts to make rubber body mounts... They worked, but you sure felt it. (The durometer of a hockey puck makes urethane look great). Without having a set of NOS or "nice" used 9C1 examples, its all but impossible to "make" something that fits and functions properly from thin air.

Im a "Parts Bin" guy... Id prefer using similar/better GM parts over aftermarket close-enough parts. What Id like to know is if anyone has found/used similar parts from the current stocks of NOS/New/OEM replacements available for any other vehicle...
(See Hardware and Rubber Bushings).

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
They are probably alreaded listed in this thread somewhere but just in case and I'm just too lazy to re-read thru all the posts, here are a couple of links that may be helpful....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/39-group-purchases/1239914-9-2014-oe-spec-body-mounts-possible-gp.html

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/324490-any-interest-meuller-b-body-bushing-reproductions.html

Like I've said before, if these were ever made I would love to get a set. If it never happens, I guess I'll be looking at Poly's but not my first choice. I have no idea what my 20 YO bushings not to mention the Pink/Green ones I got from Dal many years ago look like now. I'm pretty sure they are in real rough shape after all this time.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
As far as making your own with windshield urethane, you could put a foam core in it and adjust the compliance with a urethane "doughnut" instead of a solid urethane part. The rubber ones are often hollow and not solid. It may take a couple of attempts to get it exactly right, but if all else fails it is a fix.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
If one's heart is set on OEM style in rubber,then start scouring salvage yards for lower mileage donors. Grab as many as you can,and you'll be able be to piece a set together. Combined with some of those you have especially. Doubt any vendor will ever be anxious to reproduce these parts that were never in much demand beyond initial assembly of the car...

Reactions: KW Baraka

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
The Scott Mueller mod says there are 12 total bushing locations. 10 are 3/4" and 2 are 7/8" (#7 position)

If you can't find a 7/8" rubber one I guess you could just use a 3/4" and a 1/8" thick washer under it.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts