Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have them currently running under the car but want to drill the firewall and move them under the carpet. Where in the firewall should I or have you done so?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
theres a sweet spot several inches under the heater on the passenger side firewall.
its flat and no harnesses or hoses in the way and room for a drill.
if you dont see it, its been mentioned before so search should find it.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Am not a fan of the grommet method. Do it right,and use a bulkhead connector. Maybe,people get away with running cable through sheet metal. The consequences associated with a failure of this practice are HUGE.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Am not a fan of the grommet method. Do it right,and use a bulkhead connector. Maybe,people get away with running cable through sheet metal. The consequences associated with a failure of this practice are HUGE.
Don't suppose you have a manufacturer or P/N handy do ya?

Great idea by the way!

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Don't suppose you have a manufacturer or P/N handy do ya?

Great idea by the way!
Just google "bulkhead connector" and you will find a bunch. Companies like Grainger and MSC have them.

I got some from Eastwood that were very nice and had a rubber internal that would cinch down over the wire as you tightened the connector to seal out the elements.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Just google "bulkhead connector" and you will find a bunch. Companies like Grainger and MSC have them.

I got some from Eastwood that were very nice and had a rubber internal that would cinch down over the wire as you tightened the connector to seal out the elements.
Yeah I did that right after posting (Duh on my part) and found some thru McMaster-Carr & Grainger as well.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just bought one for a race car was 2.50 from the warehouse would work perfect for what your doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for bulkhead connector idea never seen them... I worked on a truck two weeks ago, the power wire had been burned up by the exhaust manifold...

·
Registered
109 Posts
im about to start hooking up my system and this is one the questions I had as well.

you plan on running two 1/0 gauge wire can I ask what your running two for.

two amps? let me know interested
I was planning on doing the big 3 then running 4 gauge back to the amp.
but o gauge to the back/trunk doesnt sound bad

and are you running them under the plastic trim/door or directly under the carpet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
bringing back and old thread...

is this what yall are referring to when you say bulkhead connector?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BANJO-Bulkhead-Tank-Fitting-1MKH7?Pid=search

and if so, i have a question about installation. would i have to drill a hole, stick my hand through the engine bay side of the firewall, push it through the firewall, then go inside the car and screw it on?

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
bringing back and old thread...

is this what yall are referring to when you say bulkhead connector?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BANJO-Bulkhead-Tank-Fitting-1MKH7?Pid=search

and if so, i have a question about installation. would i have to drill a hole, stick my hand through the engine bay side of the firewall, push it through the firewall, then go inside the car and screw it on?
That's for plumbing. He's referring to a feed-thru or pass-thru junction. There are a bunch of different types.

Here is an example

Amazon.com: Red Battery Cable Firewall Feed-Thru Panel Terminal Connector: Automotive

IMO if your careful its not necessary

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
This ^^^ style is best/safest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts