Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For SSHS I'm thinking about running slicks this year, I'm pretty much done with running street tires at the track.

Obviously my big concern is what this might do when I push the go pedal. Car has pretty much all the bolt-ons, typically traps at about 100mph with the setup I have. 3000 stall Edge coupled with 3.73's. Only other thing I have that might matter is beefier rear LCA's.

Trans is pretty much stock except for a TransGo set for "medium" shift firmness. The trans has approx 100k on it. No issues for the most part. No extra trans cooler except whatever is stock on the 9C1's.

I haven't really thought too hard about being "that guy" that breaks because I never really push the driveline too hard with the street tires. But with the slicks obviously it changes things.

Thoughts?

I can't recall exactly the tire dimensions, haven't picked them up but I seem to recall they are the normal size, not ridiculously wide or tall.

*wasn't sure where to put this thread, maybe it should go in "concerns" or "racing", but figured it was the trans I'm figuring was the weak link.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Run fairly equal pressure from one slick compared to the other.

Open your ashtray before you launch.

If you're not running a stiff sidewall slick, get used to feeling the back end of the car moving around some on the way down the track.

And if you've got a difference in tire diameters from front to rear, don't panic when your ABS trips and kicks out. Just stay on the brakes nice and easy until you get it slowed down enough to make the turnoff.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Bout time :) Leave the ashtray closed; it's fun to see it open every launch. 16 lbs is the minimum air pressure for slicks on these cars. As the track gets better, pressure in the air bags goes up: usually 16 is a good start. Your car is already time tested and thoughtfully constructed so don;t worry about a thing. Just have some fun, and of course, WIN :D

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I assume your going with 15inch wheel? With 3.73s Id run a 26'' tall slick,(less tire wall more gear) 26'' seem ideal for 3.73s good luck..

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Damn JOHNER, what happened to your car.
LOL! ahhh...the words of many right now...Im prepping it for paint,she never looked so bad,its depressing.. catapiller stage homie, she will be beatuifull again lol...

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
You should have no concerns whatsoever, Blake. If something breaks, it was ready to go anyway.
If you feel the backend moving around like NADACOP mentioned, it just means you're overcorrecting. I've never noticed it. Just point it in the right direction when you stage, and mash it :D

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
The ashtray thing is fun unless you have a floor shifter conversion....... :p

Jim

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The ashtray thing is fun unless you have a floor shifter conversion....... :p

Jim
Sucks when you mash you hand into it on the 2/3 shift. And I can get mine almost all the way out with 2.6 60's. Which tells me 2 things. My ashtray glides are awesome. And I can't hook up for crap.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Run as much pressure as you can for a more stable ride on the top end. At about 1000' sometimes it will feel if you're riding on marshmallows.

I'm back to MT Drag radials. They are a not as forgiving as slicks but will go faster if your car is a bolt on setup.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Sucks when you mash you hand into it on the 2/3 shift. And I can get mine almost all the way out with 2.6 60's. Which tells me 2 things. My ashtray glides are awesome. And I can't hook up for crap.

- Brian
1.92 and the thing is 90% open. 1.96 and it's just a crack.

Your ashtray glides are awesome! :D

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I used to use the ashtray till I put a shifter in it. Then it really gets in the way. I kept it the same way with the manual 700R4. Reason is it hits you in the hand and scares the crap out of me.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
1.92 and the thing is 90% open. 1.96 and it's just a crack.

Your ashtray glides are awesome! :D
Empty that half pound of change out of it!
It takes a 1.6x or better to open mine :(

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Blake - As stated by others, as long as it is in decent shape your drivetrain should easily handle the stress of drag slicks with your mods. Just be sure that your u-joints don't have excessive play and you should be fine. Slicks can help you find wornout u-joints by ejecting them onto the track. ;) If the u-joints are worn, they are pretty cheap to replace as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally picked up the slicks and test mounted them. They are a lot of tire (28x10.5x15) but should be better than the 6 year old KDWS's I've run every year so far. There is not a whole lot of room at the fender so I will probably do a couple test runs and keep an eye one everything. I'll keep it at around 16-20 and play with it from there.

Thanks guys :cool:

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Personally for a bolt on car (no Juice), a good Drag Radial will offer the traction you need without slowing you down from having too sticky of a tire. the 26" tall tire would have been ideal with 3.73s over the 28", and you might loose time from that choice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts