Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove around locally yesterday and on the way home my car started missing and running very rough. First time this ever happened after owning this car for over 8 years. Was able to get it to a local shop to check the codes and came up code 42. It was late so I left it with him. He ran some tests (not sure what test) this morning and told me it was pointing to the Opti. Decided to try to get it home. I drove it home about a mile, same thing happening once it warmed up. Looked up code 42 and saw it ICM related. Hooked my computer with Freescan on it and cleared the code then installed a new Delco ICM since I knew this had never been replaced since I had this car. Found the old ICM was made in Singapore when I got it out.
It ran ok for about 15 minutes then started bucking, missing, rough running again when it warmed up.
Hooked it up to the computer again and now get a code 36.
Not sure what to do next. Car has about 150,000 with original opti. Replaced the temp sensor in the WP, WP, Coil, EGR, plugs, wires, evap valve and canister all within the last 5 years.
Wondering if it's time order an opti.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try coil wire (and clean all contacts) first.
Edited original post. Coil and plug wires were replaced within the last 5 years and lool pretty good. I just cleaned the coil wire contact without any improvement.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Remind me, what is code 36?

If you've got 150k on the original opti, it's at least due for a cap and rotor. Any broken ground straps on the coil studs?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remind me, what is code 36?

If you've got 150k on the original opti, it's at least due for a cap and rotor. Any broken ground straps on the coil studs?
Coil ground wires on studs were replaced with beefier contacts.

Code 36- Distributor ignition system. Faulty high resolution (360X) pulse or multiple low resolution pulses detected. Check pigtail connector from distributor to main harness for any opens or shorts. Verify wiring is okay before replacing distributor.

I need to borrow a good harness to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts