Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, gonna be doing a triple gauge pod setup in the near future and was wondering what the best place is for running wires through the firewall? Is there a good spot with a grommet already with room for more wires or will i have to drill somewhere? Any better ideas? All info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Poke a hole through the grommet where the steering column fits in the firewall.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
There is a tool that I think you can get at Harbor Freight. You can push it through where the grommet is and then run the wires through the tube of the tool and then remove the tool. That way you won't damage the grommet and will have a cleaner installation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a tool that I think you can get at Harbor Freight. You can push it through where the grommet is and then run the wires through the tube of the tool and then remove the tool. That way you won't damage the grommet and will have a cleaner installation.

Hmm thanks. I have a HF real close to me too. Is it an in stock item or would i have to get it online? Is it in the auto section or electrical? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
THere is a grommet directly behind the e brake pedal it is the perfect spot for running wires through. at it will be relatively hidden as well. the grommet it fairly large and there is plenty of room in there, just follow the cruise control harness or the harness that the cruise control box is connected to and you will see it. Let me know if you need a bigger picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THere is a grommet directly behind the e brake pedal it is the perfect spot for running wires through. at it will be relatively hidden as well. the grommet it fairly large and there is plenty of room in there, just follow the cruise control harness or the harness that the cruise control box is connected to and you will see it. Let me know if you need a bigger picture.

Wow great thanks. I just want it to be as clean as possible ya know. Ill route them through and then cover them with loom to keep a nice clean appearance etc.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah the spot that I noted it the perfect spot for this, when the fender well is in it is barely noticeable, and you could run them on the lower side of the harness that is going through there and never see them, also a note, not much if any water gets up that way, so even if the hole you bore is a little bigger, water intrusion won't be an issue ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the spot that I noted it the perfect spot for this, when the fender well is in it is barely noticeable, and you could run them on the lower side of the harness that is going through there and never see them, also a note, not much if any water gets up that way, so even if the hole you bore is a little bigger, water intrusion won't be an issue ;)
Sounds good to me! Yeah the cleaner the better. I bought the car off of my brother a couple months ago and its a beauty with only 19k original miles, 96 model! So im looking to do a few cool mods but just keep it pretty original for the most part and just keep the miles low by taking it to car shows etc. I have a jeep for the everyday abuse so the car will have it made :D Its also cool that Ive always done the maintenance on it too so even though its new to me, it really isn't lol. But at least its mine now and i can do a few things that he never wanted to do haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts