Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd go with the zq8 the gm style is mostly the same as you have the other ones seem a little bit small

and no offence to rustic the other products will one day be on my ss

my own 02 cents

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the cone style from Rustic to go along with my cut 750 race springs. Seem to work good to me, my car doesn't ride on them and they haven't been trimmed either. Even with cut down 750 inch lb springs, I havent hit a bump yet that jarred me with those bump stops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats good to know...

i have ST springs and just wanbt to see if anyone runs ST springs with zq8 or rustic racing cone style...

Thank you for sharing..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run ZQ8's (that I bought from Rustic) with my Vogtland springs. They car was riding on the bumpstops and I had to trim about a half inch off them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by DEAFPRIDESS:
thats good to know...

i have ST springs and just wanbt to see if anyone runs ST springs with zq8 or rustic racing cone style...

Thank you for sharing..
the st's give about the same height that my H&R give you'll need to trim them ( zq8 )

but boy do they help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Mr. L AKA BearingKiller...:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DEAFPRIDESS:
thats good to know...

Thank you for sharing..
the st's give about the same height that my H&R give you'll need to trim them ( zq8 )

but boy do they help
</font>[/QUOTE]yea.. i ll go ahead and get zq8... thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the ZQ8s as well, I didn't trim them as they compress enough. A must have for the lowered car for sure.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I've posted this before... but I want to add this into the discussion of bump stops.

The "feel" and "performance" of your front suspension is determined by your springs, shocks and sway bar. If your frame is resting on your bumpstops you are adding another component... which is the "spring rate" of the bump stop.... and removing much of the effects of the other 3 components.

If you have gone out and spent several hundreds of dollars on you springs, shocks and bars... why would you want your suspension resting on $15 worth of foam?

If you want your suspension to work the way it was designed, your bump stop should be just that... a BUMP STOP. It's only there to prevent metal to metal contact during severe suspension travel.

So, I recommend at least triming what ever stop you use so that you have some room for suspension travel before it's contacted. This is why I sell the "button" style stop that is very low profile. It allows your suspension to do it's job and it only interferes when it has to.

Just one man's opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt trim my ZQ8's at all and when I put them in a noticed a MUCH better feel when riding over smaller bumps in the road.

Its just one more thing to cushion the ride, I could care less if they rest on the bumpstops or not because it feels a hell of a lot better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Joe Malczewski:
I didnt trim my ZQ8's at all and when I put them in a noticed a MUCH better feel when riding over smaller bumps in the road.

Its just one more thing to cushion the ride, I could care less if they rest on the bumpstops or not because it feels a hell of a lot better.
I'll start by saying that there's no accounting for taste... what one guy thinks feels good another may consider harsh. And the bottom line is that if you like the way your car feels and handles... then you have done what's right!!! Because that's what it's all about... finding what you like and building your car to match. :cool:

Now... why do you think the ZQ8's made your car "feel better"? My guess is that when you lowered it it was sitting on (or very close to) the factory bump stops. The factory stops are not very forgiving, especially when they get old. So when you hit a little bump the stops slammed into your frame... and that felt harsh.

A low profile stop may feel just as good because it allows your springs and shocks to absorb that little bump without the bump stop being involved.

From a performance stand point this is a much better option because you have a more predictable "spring rate" through a longer length of travel for the suspension.

I'm not trying to talk down the ZQ8... it's a good part. I'm just trying to explain a little better what's happening... and give options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.