Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know this one is a longshot, as I've never seen or heard of a discount code for Safelite Glass, but after going thru their website to get an appraisal for my daily driver on a replacement, there's a space for a discount code.

So I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has one?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a cut and paste google search for "afelite Glass,discount code". I got a lot of hits. When I added the S in I got even more. Have you tried any of the links?
I didn't try prior to the post here, since I had never heard of it actually being a thing. My mistake.

As an FYI, This is for my '98 Tahoe, and not the Caprice.

I'll take a look searching, and then see if anything actually gives a discount comparable to the local guys thru the Safelite web page.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've tried a few codes, and none can match the $234 of the local guys.

So as convenient as they are, it looks like the local guys are better priced, and can come out to my place of business free of charge too.

No big deal, I just thought I'd try the big-box store, and am glad to see the local guys are very competitive, and can beat the cost. I like to put money into the local businesses, and establish a relationship, or rekindle in this case.

As they re-did the side glass in the Tahoe a few years back when I did the headliner, and discovered a leak.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I am not familiar with the 98 Tahoe. I had two bad windshield installations on two different cars of the same model. The glass supplier provided glass with warped trim and the installers were stupid enough to install them. If they do not reuse the old trim you might want to ask to see the new trim BEFORE they take out the old windshield. I an not saying your guys are bad but I would not want anyone to go through what I did to get things right.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not familiar with the 98 Tahoe. I had two bad windshield installations on two different cars of the same model. The glass supplier provided glass with warped trim and the installers were stupid enough to install them. If they do not reuse the old trim you might want to ask to see the new trim BEFORE they take out the old windshield. I an not saying your guys are bad but I would not want anyone to go through what I did to get things right.
Thanks, I'll talk things over with them when I set up the appointment.

The problem is that there's a leak somewhere. We had an unusual downpour this afternoon at lunch time, and when I put my windshield sun-shades back in place, the headliner on the passenger's side was a little wet.

So I've got a leak somewhere, and the glass company (locally) said they couldn't re-seal this vehicle's glass. It had to be replaced. So for a 21 year old vehicle I can't complain for $234!

Everything else has been rebuilt (Literally: engine, tranny, exhaust system, headliner, carpet, stereo system, A/C system.) so I'm keeping her for a while!

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Make sure there's no visual waves in the glass. I've been in cars where it looks like you're driving with bifocals. No way.

Yeah, S8flite was way more expensive than the local places. Even Glass America was far cheaper.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You might want to tape the top edge and sides and see if the water still comes in. If it does tape the top of the doors and try again.

One of the mental games the shop played with me was telling me (on the second replacement) that the windshield frame was rusting(no mention the first time), Hard to believe since the car was garaged for 19 of it's 23 years. If the frame is rusting it is the only part on the car other than the exhaust that is.

I will be taking it to a body shop that does glass next time just in case the sheet metal needs attention.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure there's no visual waves in the glass. I've been in cars where it looks like you're driving with bifocals. No way.
Ok, good to not. I think I'll stop by their shop and ask to see the windshield prior to installation.

The only other windshield I've redone was my '74 Blazer when I was 17, and that was just the gasket.

You might want to tape the top edge and sides and see if the water still comes in. If it does tape the top of the doors and try again.
Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow and see what I can find myself, and do some visual inspection. The factory roof rack starts about where the back of the front seat are, so there's nothing up front on the sheet metal roof that should be causing a leak, but still I will do some visual inspection work this weekend.

I've got a few things to do this weekend, and one of them is to install a pusher fan on the front LH side of the condenser on the Caprice. I installed a Dorman fan on my Tahoe last weekend, to help A/C efficiency, using a GM relay harness that I got off ebay inexpensively.

So I'll do the same, and tie into the trigger for the primary fan, and get a little more air moving thru things. Everything is working fine, I just didn't like to see my cylinder head temperature get up to 218' last week in bumper-to-bumper traffic when the ambient was 104'.

One of the mental games the shop played with me was telling me (on the second replacement) that the windshield frame was rusting(no mention the first time), Hard to believe since the car was garaged for 19 of it's 23 years. If the frame is rusting it is the only part on the car other than the exhaust that is.

I will be taking it to a body shop that does glass next time just in case the sheet metal needs attention.
My Tahoe is a native Texas truck, so I don't have any undercarriage rust, and the body is in very good condition, but like I previously wrote, I did have to have the LH side glass gasket replaced a few years ago, so it seems like the gasketing lifetime seems to be about up at this point.

·
Registered
883 Posts
With darker body colors and dark glass high heat may brake down any of the factory seals.

Where I am winter to summer the temperature extremes are -35 to 110 deg Fahrenheit. So parts can flex differently summer to winter opening up different areas to moisture intrusion.

For easier tape removal wax the areas first.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Paying for glass is news to me. My whole life it was free cuz rolling into coverage of cars on Ins policy. Have Travelers at the moment, and Liberty Mutual before that.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nothing in life is free. Different area different policy types. Where I am I can get a new windshield for cash with the money I would pay to a insurance company in 2 or 3 years. Again In my area glass replacement is considered a claim.

I switched insurance companies a couple of years ago. I said I had no claims. The new agent said you had a new windshield in 1993, then she started laughing. The insurance system has a long memory and your record determines your rates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts