Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=327018) folks described some of their experiences with Scan9495, a free "OBD1 scan app for 94/95 LT1". It's designed to run in Windows. I have an old Acer laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS so I decided to see if I could get it to run using Wine (http://www.winehq.org/about/). The short answer is that I did and I'd like to explain how.

Prerequisites:

Scan9495 software, download from http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s#gonkz3785ph7o. Note that Scan9495 requires version 4 of the Microsoft .NET Framework; we'll get to that later. Download the "Scan9495 V1-0-7.zip" file. Extract all of the files to a folder on your desktop.

ALDL cable: I have a serial cable that I've been using with DataMaster, but this Acer laptop doesn't have a serial port. I picked up a USB cable from ODB Diagnostics ($59.95, http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1u)

Laptop: Acer Aspire 3620, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, wine 1.7.10.

Let's start by installing the .NET framework using winetricks:

Code:
$ wget http://winetricks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/winetricks
$ bash winetricks dotnet40 corefonts
Plug the cable into an available port. With no serial port on my laptop I used a USB port. That required some additional configuration. First, you might need to worry about an FTDI driver. If you see log entries like this is /var/log/syslog you're good to go:

Code:
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.352055] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.555075] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.555083] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.555087] usb 2-1: Product: FT232R USB UART
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.555090] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   71.555093] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: A700eN0B
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 2: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1"
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 2 was not an MTP device
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   72.170261] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   72.170865] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
Jan 17 11:49:00 acer kernel: [   72.171459] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.326310] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.326933] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327579] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327656] usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327660] usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327663] usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327666] usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.327669] usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
Jan 17 11:49:01 acer kernel: [   72.330183] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
If you don't see something like this you're going to need to find and install an appropriate FTDI driver. The cable I bought includes a CD with code you can compile to make and install one.

Note that the device is attached to ttyUSB0. Now you need to create a virtual serial port for wine. If you're using a serial cable you'll need to link the virtual serial port to the "real" one, which will probably be at /dev/ttyS0.

Code:
$ ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

$ cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sah62 sah62 10 Dec  9 21:29 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sah62 sah62 12 Jan 13 16:32 com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sah62 sah62  8 Dec  9 21:38 d:: -> /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sah62 sah62  8 Dec  9 22:13 e:: -> /dev/sdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 sah62 sah62  1 Dec  9 21:29 z: -> /
$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Jan 17 12:35 /dev/ttyUSB0
I needed to change the default baud rate of the device to 9600 to make things work:

Code:
$ stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 9600
$ stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel
$
Make sure you are a member of the dialout group to have read/write access to the device:

Code:
$ usermod -a -G dialout sah62
$ groups sah62
sah62: sah62 adm dialout cderom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
In theory you should now be able to run Scan9495 with using the wine windows program loader. That didn't work for me because wine wasn't creating a registry entry for the com1 port I created earlier. Using wine's regedit, create a string value key with a name of "com1" and a value of "COM1" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM (see attached picture). Keep regedit or another Windows app open. If you close them you'll need to re-create the key.

After doing all of this I was able to run the app, connect to the PCM, and run the scan! Yes, it was a lot more work compared to running it on Windows, but it was a fun learning experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a question about the 95 chevy impala PCM. When you finally get everything talking to the laptop, are the information tabs laggy? Like RPM's are glitchy and slow?
I found RedDevilRiver so hopefully I can datalog soon, just wanted to make sure its a nice unit like LS computers.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I have a question about the 95 chevy impala PCM. When you finally get everything talking to the laptop, are the information tabs laggy? Like RPM's are glitchy and slow?
I found RedDevilRiver so hopefully I can datalog soon, just wanted to make sure its a nice unit like LS computers.
Are you using Linux for reading, as this guide specifies?

Edit: RedDevilRiver cables use counterfeit FTDI chips. FTDI has glitched them in their newer driver downloads. Guess what happens to your PCM when they glitch? That's right - dead PCM. I bricked 3 PCM's before I went to another cable. Do not use RDR cables. Get a good cable with a legal chipset. There's a guy on ebay that makes them.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've been using cheap chinese boards for many years have yet to kill a pcm or had any issues w/ any of them.
Can be bought on fleabay for under $10 shipped to your door.
I know many many folks using them also without issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231227363471

Have 3 vehicles w/ older GM stuff and all have one hardwired into them.
All you need is a USB cable to datalog or flash once wired in.
I find it ridiculous that folks seem to think a $50-$60 cable is worth the $ or required on these things.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I find it ridiculous that folks seem to think a $50-$60 cable is worth the $ or required on these things.
The retailer you posted uses genuine FTDI chips so that's why you're not bricking PCM's. Looks like a cool option - where's your writeup?

There are some folks that are not comfortable doing any wiring or stuff like that though. I used to be one of them so I bought the Red Devil River cable. Never could get Scan9495 or eehack to run glitch-free. Bricked three PCM's in the span of 2 months after updating FTDI chipset. Each replacement PCM was between $75 - $150.

Spent $55 on a proper cable and have not bricked one since despite flashing literally dozens of times.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you using Linux for reading, as this guide specifies?

Edit: RedDevilRiver cables use counterfeit FTDI chips. FTDI has glitched them in their newer driver downloads. Guess what happens to your PCM when they glitch? That's right - dead PCM. I bricked 3 PCM's before I went to another cable. Do not use RDR cables. Get a good cable with a legal chipset. There's a guy on ebay that makes them.
Wow. Add 100-150 for each new brain. And for 50 bucks he'll waste all your time and hard earned money. I was looking into putting something in my OBD1 Port to then talk to a laptop, thank you for telling me about RDR. Now if someone can show me how they wired up that legitimate chip.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The retailer you posted uses genuine FTDI chips so that's why you're not bricking PCM's. Looks like a cool option - where's your writeup?

There are some folks that are not comfortable doing any wiring or stuff like that though. I used to be one of them so I bought the Red Devil River cable. Never could get Scan9495 or eehack to run glitch-free. Bricked three PCM's in the span of 2 months after updating FTDI chipset. Each replacement PCM was between $75 - $150.

Spent $55 on a proper cable and have not bricked one since despite flashing literally dozens of times.
That link is just an example. I bought mine for ~$3 from China seller...they're clones and work fine.

Far as how wire them up.
tx/rx pins to aldl wire
ground pin to aldl ground

I've posted this before...
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/11961810-post29.html

EDIT:
I'll add that wiring/cable MUST be 100% a lot of people have problems due to bad connections. I've seen bad cable connections on brand new supposedly quality cables.
Improperly crimped terminals that kept dropping out while a guy I was helping tune his Jeep.

Bricked PCMs can be repaired. Worst case remove flash and rewrite in a programmer. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in trying.

·
Registered
149 Posts

That link is just an example. I bought mine for ~$3 from China seller...they're clones and work fine.

Far as how wire them up.
tx/rx pins to aldl wire
ground pin to aldl ground

I've posted this before...
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/11961810-post29.html

EDIT:
I'll add that wiring/cable MUST be 100% a lot of people have problems due to bad connections. I've seen bad cable connections on brand new supposedly quality cables.
Improperly crimped terminals that kept dropping out while a guy I was helping tune his Jeep.

Bricked PCMs can be repaired. Worst case remove flash and rewrite in a programmer. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in trying.
So wires coming from OBD port, where do you get those slide on connectors for the chip? eBay too?

·
Registered
149 Posts
So wires coming from OBD port, where do you get those slide on connectors for the chip? eBay too?
The cheapo usb dealios I bought came with them, but common pc type jumpers and can be found many places.
Hey I was hearing that some 95 Impala's have the OBD2 port I just checked and mine is still the 12 pin. I know ground, but what colors or what ports do I use for the other two. Im not gonna hard wire just getting three male connectors that have the female on the other side with 30 cm of length. Thanks bro.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.