Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm pretty sure I screwed up the electronics in my dash for the odometer reading. When i bought my 96SS 4 years ago the owner at the time had purchased but never installed an odometer repair kit. Well being off for 2 weeks I went to to ACE & Radio Shack and purchase all the necessary tools. I was able to remove the old soldering but i accidently tore a little green piece of the board which is next to the top resistor hole. I was thinking why continue.....I screwed it up. So instead of buying just a regular 25w solder gun.........no I had to purchase this cold/hot solder gun with makes it almost impossible to solder anything together. Anyway I couldn't really solder the 2 wires of the kit to the 2 holes on the board that well. So I decided to put the cluster back for and to no surprise the odometer still not working.

My question is am i screwed in that I need a new board? Can I go back to Radio Shack and replace the 3 resistors and attempt this process over again. Can I send it out to someone or do I just do the z28 mod?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I’m not an expert by any means but did install the repair kit a few years ago and have soldered on many circuit boards for both work and hobby. Have never tried one of those cold soldering irons though. A solder sucker from Radio shack works well for removing solder, a spring loaded syringe looking thing. Anyway, it doesn’t sound like you’ve done any real damage. I’d solder in some new resistors or install the external resistor kit. The problem seems to be the resistors get hot enough to melt their solder connections, so I'd get higher wattage resistors and mount them with a pretty good air gap above the board if you go that route. If the trace got torn just solder in some wire strands for a jumper across the open section.
Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The green on the board is a coating to seal the copper trace. You can very carefully scrape the green off and expose the copper then solder a wire to the copper across the break. Or take it to someplace like a TV repair shop and they could resolder it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well.......I took back the Soldier Gun from Ace and got a 25w gun instead. I took out the cluster out again and jumped a new wire (cage #22-Radio Shack) across the board. Process took relatively shorter than yesterday. So I took my time and replaced the cluster and crossed my fingers as I turned the ignition key.

Well.....no odometer reading at all and I figured that my board is screwed up totally. I was hoping!

What are my options my friends? New z28 cluster or ship my board to an outside electronics shop?

Has this happen to anyone where it took several tries to final get the odometer right.

Thks.....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You maybe able to retry it. Take a picture of your work. If you have a bad solder joint it will show in the picture.

Pm'ed you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.