Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went to sears for an alignment and they told me they couldn't do it because the lower ball bearings were shot. It was a decent price so I let them do it. They bent the lower control arm trying to put a bigger bearing in
. So I get an Alero for a week, bring it back when they get the part and they replace the arm (which took forever btw--6 hours). OK finally got her back. A couple days later I notice that the front right where they replaced the arm has a larger space between the top of the tire and the body - measure it and its a whole inch and a half higher than the left! I think back to the mechanic telling me that he "didn't have a spring compressor so they got some nylon and a wrench"... So #1 is there anyway to correct this space now on my own? I figure you're all gonna say no so I need a place around Fayetteville, NC to take it--cause i am sure as hell mot taking it to sears. #2 if i let go of the steering wheel above 30 it still makes a b-line for the right curb. I was hoping the alignment would correct this. Sears said the idler arm and linkage was no good too; could this be reason it veers off?
p.s. did i mention that i hate sears? and that they also got grease stains on my carpet (i got them to pay for the cleaning). what an experience!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They more than likely did not get the spring in the top pirch correctly. He probably bent donw the tabs that the spring is supposed to go around, and now the spring is pressing against the bent tabs....and also check to see if the bottom of the spring is seated correctly. There are two holes right next to each other in the spring pocket. The spring should cover the first, but the second should still be visible. You really need a spring compressor to get the job done right. Take it to a good mechanic that you trust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to let the Garage Manager know about their cluster and tell them about taking it to another shop. They may have to pay the other shop to correct their incompatance. I would also, get the number of the District Manager and fill him in also.

#2 if i let go of the steering wheel above 30 it still makes a b-line for the right curb. I was hoping the alignment would correct this. Sears said the idler arm and linkage was no good too; could this be reason it veers off? How did they do an alignment if the idler arm and linkage was shot?? Thats like doing an alignment with mismatched tire sizes :confused:

If the 'tech' did his job properly, he should have noticed the b-line during his test drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by HVYCHVY:
How did they do an alignment if the idler arm and linkage was shot?? Thats like doing an alignment with mismatched tire sizes :confused:

If the 'tech' did his job properly, he should have noticed the b-line during his test drive.
I agree with this... How can they charge you for an alignment when, well, they can't align it?

I needed some front end work done, and I took it to three different shops before I decided who I was going to allow to do what. The biggest reason I went from shop to shop was because I didn't like the prices they were giving me and trying to charge me over 4 TIMES the $$ on parts that I could get myself. :rolleyes:

Sears was one of the places I got an estimate. And I will never go back to Sears. Nevermind the outrageous prices, their crappy customer service skills really ticked me off. :mad:

Good luck with your repair! :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, some years back I dropped off a Corsica at Sears for tires and to check the brakes (pads were squealing).

Car was to be ready by noon. Well, go to pick it up after work at 4:00pm and they have not even looked at the damn thing. Still sitting in the lot where it was parked that morning (a fact confirmed by the manager on duty, just said they were too busy to get to it). So, I am fairly unhappy about it not being done.

Drive home, on the answering machine there was a message left (at 3:15pm)by a 'tech' that the car won't be ready until the next day because there is major brake damage and they had to order a new master cylinder and calipers. They wanted my permission to order about $650 worth of parts.

So...they are closed at this point. Next day, I go to get the car and talk to the manager. He appologizes for them not calling and telling me that they did not get to the car. Told him about the message and asked him what he was going to do about it. His response was that there must be some misunderstanding on my part. The look on his face was priceless when I called my answering machine and had it play back the message from his employee. Sent a letter to the head of Sears, never heard anything back.

Should have called the State's attorney or the local media instead.

Oh, and BTW, a set of pads and the brakes were just fine for the next 40K miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 96DCMSS:
They more than likely did not get the spring in the top pirch correctly. He probably bent donw the tabs that the spring is supposed to go around, and now the spring is pressing against the bent tabs....and also check to see if the bottom of the spring is seated correctly. There are two holes right next to each other in the spring pocket. The spring should cover the first, but the second should still be visible. You really need a spring compressor to get the job done right. Take it to a good mechanic that you trust.
I agree completely with 96DCMSS, I have 3 B-Bodies and have changed front springs at least 7-8 times. It is difficut to get a spring to seat properly in the top pocket. Also rotation of the spring is very important, because both top and bottom have recesses for the end of the coil. Also he could have put the spring in upside down.
Take it to a dealer and get an estimate, make Sears pay to correct it. Take pictures and go to small claims court if you have to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
95SupersSport: I'm a retired Sears Area Sales manager. This is what you should do.
1. Talk to the Sears Auto Manager, with your paper work and a couple of estimates from local repair shops and one from a Chevrolet dealer.
2. Explain what has gone on,and tell him you don't feel comfortable with his mech. doing the work. You want him to pay for the proper repair. Give him a chance to tap dance around the problem. He will probably tell you he needs another chance to fix your car. Tell him he has had two chances already and you want it done right. Show him the estimates and give him a chance to reply.KEEP YOUR COOL NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS! Always remain calm no matter how much you hate Sears. If he says, "No," then let him know you WILL WRITE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO CHICAGO.. At this point be prepared to walk out and end the conservation. Your letter to Chicago will be an Executive complaint. This should get you some action. It will take a week or so, but you should hear something. As one response said, "Sears is the Devil," so my way may not work. The Devil was not around while I worked there. Good luck, NAT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.