Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in having my seat belts refurbished, but not necessarily focusing on the material color. I cleaned them about 10 years ago when I swapped them from my wrecked 9C1, and they're in decent shape.

The retracting springs on a few of them are pretty weak, and require them to be manually assisted back to the resting position.

Does anyone have experience with anyone who does this, and had this done in addition to cleaning/coloring the material?

If so who?

I haven't contacted anyone, and thought I'd post this here first before I go looking.

Thanks y'all!

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
If the belts are not great, AND the retractors are not working well, the best solution is to simply swap in better used belts. If you have good retractors with bad belts, it is easy to swap a good used belt on your good retractor.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
If the belts are not great, AND the retractors are not working well, the best solution is to simply swap in better used belts. If you have good retractors with bad belts, it is easy to swap a good used belt on your good retractor.
Jay, I agree this is one way to handle this situation. One BIG but here. Look at Junior's car and his mods. His meticulous care of his car. Swapping out old belts for old belts might not be the solution. The company in the link I shared will reweb, in the color of choice, transfer the original tag and rebuild the rewind mech. All this for about $75 per belt.

BTW Kudos to your sig. :grin2:

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
This

I had very successful, painless and reasonably priced experience here:

https://www.safetyrestore.com/

After using this place retractor repair is one of the few jobs on a car I will not bother trying to self-perform again. I wish this outfit manufactured optis. lol

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,
Thanks for the quick replies! The material of the belts is not in question whatsoever, it's just the retraction on a few (2) actually of the 4, are not up to snuff.

I am planning on removing the trim pieces and SEM painting them black to match the carpet, so maybe I'll plan on changing the belt color as well to black.

I've got options...Like GBHS72 wrote, I'm overly meticulous and anal retentive about everything I do with my car & truck(Hell, I get paid to be that way!), so I'm all about perfection and doing it right the first time.

I'll investigate the sources y'all listed, and report back.

Unfortunately (2) of my local yards ~just~ got rid of a few 93-96 caprices, so I couldn't use those as donors.

I may have to seek out finding a loaner set of driver's belts so I can get mine done since the junkyard dogs have gone to the scrap yards.

Anyone have just a driver's set I could borrow while mine get refinished?

Thx!

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I have used Leather /vinyl dye . this is water based . the dye does not damage anything.

I have used this on my vehicles seats and dash . UV resistant and will not peel off .. this dye locks on ..

the major dye job I did was the Impala dash .. removed it washed it down .. then used denatured alcohol to remove any surface contamination .. put on 5 coats of this dye then 24 hrs later buffed it down with a soft cloth .. this was several years ago .. you can also tweek the dye color to your exact match .. I used Lt gray color but there is a KIT to tweek the colors ..

Leather technologies Roanoke ,VA ..

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Since the belts are good, just swap to good used retractors. You CANNOT let the retractor re-roll when you pull the belt all the way out to swap. It's easy.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The belts can be swapped left to right on the appropriate retractor. Do not swap the retractors, they are side specific.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I had very successful, painless and reasonably priced experience here:

https://www.safetyrestore.com/

After using this place retractor repair is one of the few jobs on a car I will not bother trying to self-perform again. I wish this outfit manufactured optis. lol
I used them too and had a stellar experience. I had my belt back in like 2 days working perfectly. Mine had self destructed and shat the spring out the side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We used SafetyRestore to repair the original belt in the 94 FWB when the driver’s belt frayed and locked up the reel mechanism. Turnaround was fast but they didn’t stock the blue to match the interior color so we ended up getting standard GM gray due to time constraints. Otherwise very pleased with the service.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
a company in texas call snake oil restores belts. have used them 3 times.
like new
Bob,
Do you recall what you had done? I ask because of my disappointment with them.

I thought I would try a fellow Texan in SSnake-oyl, as I recall seeing their ads throughout the years when I'd pick up a copy of the automotive Bible; Hemming’s.

To write that I was unimpressed and extremely disappointed would be an understatement....

First off after 10 days, I was the one who had to make initial contact with them to ensure they got my delivery. Since they were only 267 miles North, I knew they'd get the package in 2 days, but thought I'd wait for them to contact me.

At that initial contact I was told it would take a few days for them to be able to get to my stuff, and that I'd receive a call from them with a quote for the rework.

Again, I didn't hear anything for a week so I called, and this time was told that someone would be looking into them. Last week I called on Wednesday and was told that a girl XXX would be working on them tomorrow and I'd get a call the following day.

Friday I still hadn't heard anything and called again, and was told girl XXX was out sick, and that she had gone thru half of them (This was just for one car...)

I just got off the phone with them now, and that took about 5 minutes and two different people on the phone just to find my order/invoice.

I was told that 'There wasn't a thing we could do with them. We can't do anything with the springs on these.'

This was the whole reason I had sent them the belts to begin with, as I had outlined in my initial call to them, as well as the letter I wrote and included with the belts.

So I've wasted a month in the interior rework that I was doing, with the interior half torn apart because I had to access all the belts and anchors.

I am really ticked off, and will be now seeing what the two following companies can do:

1. Seat Belt Planet
2. Safetyrestore.com

If THERE'S ANYONE WHO HAS A NEW COMMENT, anyone has any first-hand experience with these folks, or another company all together, please let me know.

The webbing on my belts is in very good condition, and I'm not looking to have new material installed, the color dyed, or the clasps polished or anything.

I'm just concerned about the retraction springs, and the mechanical clasp & release springs.

Thanks

EDIT: Added in bold for anyone with a new comment or notes to plz reply, since my original posting. Clicked too fast thru the edit field >> Advanced to add this.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
THIS:
"....I was told that 'There wasn't a thing we could do with them. We can't do anything with the springs on these.'...."

Man this really just jumped off the screen at me. Maybe a false remembrance on my part, but I could swear the normal rehab service includes the clockspring and some other wear items. Why not just pour over one of trhose other two sites you list (I used safetyrestore) and see if they provide a different level of service. Can't compute the difficulty getting a new spring. It isn't like a measly 25-year old GM is going to be using a spring that's been out of production for 60 years....

Out side of that it seems the roughest part will be getting your part back.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
THIS:
"....I was told that 'There wasn't a thing we could do with them. We can't do anything with the springs on these.'...."
Hell yeah, that really blew me away. Especially since I had called and asked Girdle Granny specifically about the springs prior to me sending them anything.

Man this really just jumped off the screen at me. Maybe a false remembrance on my part, but I could swear the normal rehab service includes the clockspring and some other wear items. Why not just pour over one of trhose other two sites you list (I used safetyrestore) and see if they provide a different level of service. Can't compute the difficulty getting a new spring. It isn't like a measly 25-year old GM is going to be using a spring that's been out of production for 60 years....

Out side of that it seems the roughest part will be getting your part back.
Well surprisingly enough........the belts were on my doorstep when I got home just now! At least that was done in a timely manor.

I called and spoke with both places yesterday, and then followed up with a live chat just now with Safety Restore.

I've decided to go with Safety Restore, I picked their brains, and got good answers to all my questions, and one of the things that sold me was their willingness to work with the customer regarding (2) services and not just blanket charging for each.

What I'm writing about is specifically concerning the front belts. I've decided to not be a cheap a$$ and have the belt assemblies re-webbed as well as having the retractor springs serviced. I typically tend to go over-board and do more than what is required, to ensure I do things right the first time. At first I was thinking of having only the retractor spring serviced.

Since the belts have 22 years on them, and even though the webbing is in excellent condition, I'm having it replaced. This is one of those safety things that only really matters when you need them; and when you do it's 100% important.

Also, another thing I considered while asking all the questions I could think of today, was that these belts (I was the only person in the car at the time) were the ones from my 9C1, which I wrecked and then transferred to this car. I walked away with a minor bruise on my shoulder from the belt, and a very slightly busted lip from the steering wheel. The 9C1 saved my life from a direct front-end collision and LH quarter panel hit @ 55-65MPH. I KNOW they'll be some here who will read this and think 'Big deal, I've done XXX, which was 10 times worse, and I never had a problem. Save your money.'

That's fine, to each his own.

On the front belts, the work I'll have done is ($74.99 plus $50) instead of ($74.99 plus $64.99):

1. Custom Color Seat Belt Webbing Replacement
  2. Seat Belt Retractor Repair
As I wrote earlier....I'll most likely go with black color for the webbing replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought I'd follow-up with the pictures I took last night before packing everything up (Except the rear center belts). This way we'd have a full before & after comparison documented to the forum. I haven't seen this done before so I figured while I'm at it, I'll capture everything for my fellow forum brothers.

Everything is pretty much standard, with the exception of the RR belt, and how it's twisted. I have no idea how that happened. I can only guess that one of my drunken riders must have been playing incessantly with it.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
How did you get one chrome buckle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts