Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Fleetwood was being inspected this year, the driver's seat popped and the rear left corner hit the floor. This part came rolling out from underneath:

IMG_5398

IMG_5399

IMG_5400

IMG_5401

The seat seems to be disconnected from anything on that rear corner now. As it's been hot and sticky or raining hard (nothing in between) around here lately, I've not had a chance to pull the seat out and find out what went wrong. Anyone have any ideas - what this thing is, what it does, how do I fix it? It kind of looks like a pin that gets secured with a C/E-clip or snap ring and gets used as a pivot of some kind. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Never had my Fleetwood seats apart, but on Roadmaster wagons there is a bolt with a shoulder on it that breaks, at the hinge area where the bottom and back of the seat connect. I would pull out the driver seat, peel back the material and look at the hinge area. Look on the side that didn't break as there should be an identical piece. Like you said, it does look like it had a clip or retainer on it. If that's the case it should be an easy fix.

Tom

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Final followup: Upon further investigation, I found that the round thing was not used as a welded-in spacer but was a pivot point in the seat raise/lower mechanism that had had the "push nut" clip crack and fall off due to the uneven stress placed on the assembly by the broken leg. The pivot eventually fell out of the assembly as well. Fortunately, a push nut can be had for $3 from pretty much any parts store out of the Help! section in an assortment pack.

Next, it turned out that the leg had simply cracked in half and all parts were still in the car. It appears that this had happened before and been inexpertly welded (note the booger-like welding in the pictures above) but then it cracked again at a different point midway down the leg instead of at the top where it had before. I took the seat and leg fragments to a professional welder of my acquaintance and he was able to not only properly weld the leg back together but reinforce it so this hopefully doesn't happen again.

Mid-welding:

IMG_6485

After welding but after first paint shot:

IMG_6492

IMG_6493

Wish GM had painted all these raw steel pieces on the bottom of the seat, they're all rusty now. Anyway, we bolted the seat back into the car and it seems fine now.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Thanks for checking in

Wow. Snapped that leg clean off. Raise hands everyone immediately jumped to wondering what 2 people had to be doing on that seat for that to happen. ::smiles::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts