Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side seat has two tears in it on the left side of the lower cover (near the seat back adjuster). They were there since I bought the car and they look terrible! Approximately how much should I expect to pay in order to have that panel replaced?

------------------
1996 Impala SS
3.73 gears, Dynotech DS, S-10 TC, Fairbanks HD servo, Amsoil tranny fluid, SLP exaust, TB bypass, air foil, sewer pipe intake w/ 1LE elbow, HPP3 w/o tuning, GMPP 1.6 RR's with Crane springs, FLP headers, Moroso Blue Max ignition wires, Accell shorty platinum spark plugs, Herb Adams front and rear, Hotchkis uppers and lowers, Eibach springs, ES body mounts, larger 5/8" ball joints, ES front control arm bushings, Buick steering damper, Russel braided brake lines, combi brake mod, PF brake pads

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
John : the price of course,depends on the upholstery shop in your area.
However, since the lower sides of the seats are vinyl, not leather, they are not as expensive as you think.
When you are repairing / adding new vinyl material, you should think about building up the seat side bolsters. I did this and it made quite an improvement in comfort, and stopped me sliding around during "spirited" cornering :)
Jim....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Do you know of anyplace where we can get the right vinyl (as in, the same grain pattern)?

While I am currently looking for something to replace the front seats...I'd like to take advantage of the fact that they will be out of the car to restore them to showroom new.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manny : Any good auto upholstery shop will have a book of small sample patches. These will not only show the color and grain of the covering, but also the OEM number and name of the covering used.
Up here in Ontario we have a few "Standard Auto Glass" outlets that include an upholstery section of their shop. This part of the shop does things like convertable top repairs, carpets, and seat repairs.
So; the upholstery shop fellow actually picked out the GM vinyl that was used on my '95 BBB, ordered enough in for the building up of the seat bolsters, and then did the alterations.
I don't know if you have any auto shop "chains" that do this kind of repair in your area, but a start might be the "yellow pages" ?
Good Luck with the seat repairs Manny,
Jim....in even more snow today...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I took my 9C1 bucket seats to an upholstery shop (the edges are a bit tattered) could they build up the side bolsters and increase the lumbar support? I was seriously considering Corbeau seats, but I think this would be a much cheaper option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
W.S. : Yes, the Corbeau seat option is a beautiful package, one that I thought about too. However, at the price of exchange, shipping, etc., I decided it was too pricey for me. Actually your 9C1 seats could be made fairly nice with added side bolsters & lumbar support, probably for around $300.00 US.
Of course, I'm guessing your price, but based on what I paid in Cdn. dollars for a complete rebuild of both front seats, it might be fairly close.
Could be worth looking into ?
Good Luck, Jim....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know if leather can be repair without replacing the whole thing? My rear back seat has a tear about 3" long and I really don't know what happened. I really don't feel like spending tons of money on replacing the whole seat cover but would like to just repair the tear if possible. It's a daily driver so I'm just concerned with just patching it up as I need to replace the carpet and have other interior parts that need more attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.