Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I heard using the "wrong" stuff can damage the belt and make it likely to break when needed most.

So, what's OK to use on them? Furniture cleaner, carpet cleaner, what?

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
I pulled 90% of the belt out of the retractor, and then put a clothes pin on it so it would stay out.

I then sprayed them with Shout, and let sit overnight. The next day I filled up a bucket with HOT water & Dawn dish detergent, and went over the belts, dunking them in the bucket, and scrubbing them with a plastic bristled brush.

Then rinsed them in a similar process of just HOT water.

Put them in the basement in front of the dehumidifier and a box fan blowing on them as they hung from the beams in the ceiling.

They came out like new!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Slow Down There, Chief!

this sounds like it would be VERY ABRASIVE.

In some places, my belts are bristling with tiny threads. The back driver side belt is trashed, worn from some crumbsnatching kid in a child seat from the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
this sounds like it would be VERY ABRASIVE.

In some places, my belts are bristling with tiny threads. The back driver side belt is trashed, worn from some crumbsnatching kid in a child seat from the previous owner.
The plastic bristle brush I used didn't have real stiff bristles. I just wanted to get something to scrub the belts with.

Mine were in very good condition, no tearing or frayed parts. They were just a little dirty from years of god knows what.

The key to it is to use HOT water, and definitely Dawn dish detergent.

If ya just wanna scrub the belts with your bare hands, I'm sure that would work well too.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I did the same thing, except I used a little 409 and warm water. soft brush and a little white vinagar, which removes COFFEE.

·
Super Moderator
9,108 Posts
It's just grease and oil that are in the belts. That stuff has attracted dirt. Remove the grease and oil, and the dirt will go away too.

I used hot water and dish detergent with a plastic-bristle brush and you wouldn't believe how much stuff came off. 10 years of yuck.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
heck fellas I got one better than that, and simpler(lol)

SCRUBBING BUBBLES!

and no i'm not joking. Spray it on and use a rag to clean it off. You'll be amazed.

I use it on all my door panel upolstery, carpet,etc. and it's the real deal

·
Registered
208 Posts
My rear seatbelts were stained brown. I used water, Palmolive dish detergent, and Oxy Clean. I let it soak overnight followed by some light scrubbing. I was surprised how well they turned out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts