Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, after I got in the car, I tried to put my belt on only to find it wont retract. Stupid me tried to pull it a little, then a little more, now the thing is all the way out and won't retract. I CAN'T drive with this thing pulled all the way out, laying on the floor. How do I fix this?:confused:

· Premium Member
584 Posts
New seat belt.

Sean

· Registered
317 Posts
you could just buy the mechanism but make sure the mechanism is broke. there is a weight in the retractor and depending on which way the housing is positioned will determine if the mechanism locks up (causing the seatbelt to not retract into the housing) if you have a t47 star allen and a rubber mallett try taking the housing out and banging on it. it could just be debris the seatbelt has pulled into the housing over time, or you could need a new one. i wouldnt advise taking it apart if you dont know what you are doing. then again if you are gonna buy a new one anyways might be fun to try

· Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled it out last night to discover the spring hanging out of the side.cwm3 I went to the yard and pulled two of them, a right and left even though they look the same, and brought them home. The Cap I pulled them from was nailed in the front and the bag was blown. Will this cause any problems with the belt mech.? I thought I read a long time ago it does cause issues with certain cars. Also, any idea how many times to wind it before putting the belt back in? My attempt to hold it, get the belt out count the turns didn't work too wellcwm6

· Registered
317 Posts
I pulled it out last night to discover the spring hanging out of the side.cwm3 I went to the yard and pulled two of them, a right and left even though they look the same, and brought them home. The Cap I pulled them from was nailed in the front and the bag was blown. Will this cause any problems with the belt mech.? I thought I read a long time ago it does cause issues with certain cars. Also, any idea how many times to wind it before putting the belt back in? My attempt to hold it, get the belt out count the turns didn't work too wellcwm6
true even though they look the same they need to be in the place they say they go to work properly. there are small weights that pull the locking mechanism into place so as the car slows these weights enable the seatbelt to catch. they work in opposite directions. there shouldnt be any problem pulling them from a crashed car unless the person wearing the seatbelt at the time of the crash was very heavy, or the crash was at a very high rate of speed in either case causing the inertia of the person against the belt to bend or damage the internal pieces in the retractor. i find 16 turns does the trick most of the time. next time you are planning on taking the belt out, place the pin thats used to hold the belt into the retractor in the opposite side long ways and let the retractor back down onto the pin. that'll hold it in place while you are doing something else

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.