Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how to add a secondary battery to my car, I now it can be done because the guy at the radio shop recomended one for this type of setup, but they just want to much money fer them, this is what I'll be putting in the car

3ea. ///Alpine MRD-M500 mono amps
1ea. ///Alpine MRV-F340 4 channel amp
3ea. ///Alpine SWR-1221D 2ohm+2ohm subwoofers
1pr. ///Alpine 6x9 sorry no number
1pr. ///Alpine 6.5 components

the question here is, will my existing batery be able to handle all this amps? if not, how do I add the second battery, any ideas will help, thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure about the battery install, but once the car is running, the current is coming from the alt.

I may be wrong, but I think the only reason people run 2 or more batteries is far extended play time while the engine isnt running.

To me, I dont think it's worth it because you wil not get the most from the system because you are not putting out enough voltage for the amps.

As far as alt power, the Impys have 140amp alt. I have 2 Punch 250a2, one puts out 392 watts, the other 404. As long as the engine is idled up, I dont even have a light dimming problem, of course I also run a 1farad cap.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U WONT NEED A SECOND BATTERY UNLESS U SIT AROUND,THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO GET SOME EXTRA MONEY OUT OF U...GET A CAP OR TWO AND MAKE SURE YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE AND YOUR LIGHTS WONT EVEN DIM.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running a indash dvd player and a 10 inch flip down LCD monitor. I had been in accesories mode parked for about half hour and wouldnt start. What could be done to get extended play time while not running the engine. I wouldnt have a problem running the engine but at night the lights wont turn off when engine is ideling.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would be pulling at most 150 amps in peak. Have to remember that sound varies due to the frequencies played and thus the amps will vary also. The caps recommended above are a must going by the general rule of 1 cap per 1000w. Also if you find that you keep turning the volume up all the time causing headlights to dim and such then I would add a second alternator. This is alot more effective then adding a second battery per the reason stated above. Good luck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96SSIMP:
I wouldnt have a problem running the engine but at night the lights wont turn off when engine is ideling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean you have daytime running lamps on your impala? I think that if you engauge the parking brake the lights should turn off, if this is not the case than just turn off the twilinght sentinel.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No day time running lamps. Have been using parking brake but now destroyed due to neglecting to turn it off was not aware if it turns of lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts