Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who have spray bombed(changed color)their leather seats
How many cans do you think it took per seat?
Im changing bonnies from tan to red and dont want to get caught short on paint so If you know how much it took I would appreciate it!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I Semed mine about 18 months ago-or so I went gloss black with red inserts. All together 3 cans of Black and 2 of red

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I Semed mine about 18 months ago-or so I went gloss black with red inserts. All together 3 cans of Black and 2 of red
Pics? How is it holding up?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Pics? How is it holding up?
I will have to get my son over here to post a pic, but its holding up quite well. Mine is NOT a DD I drive it about 1200 miles a year, so it doesn't get a lot of use

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went from tan Bonnies to Gray factory. Two cans of color and 1 can of matte clear coat should do front seats. I gutted interior and painted front/rear seats , door panels, dash pad and all plastic peices. 12 cans color and 6 coats of clear. Mine is daily driver for past five years. Driver front is starting to show some tan on bottom and backrest in the creases. No problem with doing the one seat again when I get time. SEM held up great. A lot of cleaning and scrubbing before spraying and clear coat is NOT an option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When i refurbished my interior, I also painted the door switch panels and applied new lettering. The lettering is holding up great after 5 years. I still have a few of the lettering kits around. I thought they were all sold but ran across some a few days ago. Lettering can be seen here. http://members.cox.net/hisimpalass/

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I went from tan to factory grey on a set of bonnies and it's holding up well however the driver seat is showing some tan through the paint. all I can really say is LIGHT COATS, I did a set of roadmaster seats with 3 heavy coats and they started to flake in not time. and I used 1 can per seat.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

Here is a pic of my seats

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i thought about doing this but the thing is once it starts to fade/peel you have to take the seat out and spray it again. which is pretty annoying to remove although easy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow I never knew you can spray your seats ??? I'm thinking about doin my impala seats black now ....... There has to be a catch or somthin

·
Registered
52 Posts
No catch.. SEM paint and cleaner/prep with a lot of scrubbing and preperation for a good finish that will last for years. I gutted my interior and "painted" everything from the dash pad, dash trim, (tan) bonnie seats, door panels, console and all trim peices. Had the interior out for a little over a week prepping and painting. Put in dyna mat sound proofing, window roller repair kit and new carpet. That was nearly 5 years ago. A lot of work but it still looks great.

·
Registered
237 Posts
as long as you do it properly with all the right supplies it works great bout to do all my door panels and plastics in my 99 tahoe, already did my dash, murdering out the interior to full black including the 2010 seat conversion in my 99 :)

used the rattle can on my dash cus i didnt feel like pulling it out, i got a gallon of the sprayable stuff for the door panels and pillars

heres the teardown.... quite a few more pieces than i expected lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
google sem paint, enter your zip code on there website for there vendors, that's how I just found a vendor in my area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts