Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pictures of comparing stock OEM gray to sem gray? I'm looking for some side by side pictures. I want to see how off the Sem paint is from stock or how close it actually is. Thanks

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Its almost exact, no pics to show though...

CandiSS Im pretty sure the top dash came slightly darker stock...Here a pic of stock

Edit: You probly knew that, Im assuming you meant compared to the glove box

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did mine last weekend. My upper dash was slightly darker than the lower. Now its just a little bit lighter. I can't believe you could get the colors to match any better out of a spray can. I'm very happy with it. Time will tell how well it holds up. I did my entire upper dash including the passenger airbag cover and three vents as well as the two rear speaker grills. It took about 1 1/2 cans of paint and about the same for the low luster clear coat. I used dish soap and SEM Vinyl Prep and a lot of elbow grease. Cost about $70.00. Well worth the money.

Before

After

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of comparing stock OEM gray to sem gray? I'm looking for some side by side pictures. I want to see how off the Sem paint is from stock or how close it actually is. Thanks
It's as close as it gets that's presently on the market. It's as amazing a product as virtually any I've seen and worked w/. This isn't just mindlessly lauding praise. It's a fact. I did mine over 5 years ago and still looks OEM.

The problem is it isn't spot on. Nothing is. Your interior has discolored some over the years. Perhaps lighter. Perhaps darker. But it HAS changed. How can they possibly account for this? They can't. They merely put out the closest there is to OEM look w/ tough as nails results and longevity.

Tidbits: 15393 - medium grey. 15013 - "Landau" black if you want to do 2 tone. High gloss is too glossy. Flat black is too flat. "Landau" black is the one you want. If you do a 2 tone and: don't have a garage, live south of the Mason-Dixon and/or can't deal w/ the heat north of it, DON'T do a complete black interior. It WILL turn the interior into an oven. If you really must have a black interior, plan on using grey on those areas your body makes contact w/: armrests, seats, steering wheel, upper door panels, etc...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did mine last weekend. My upper dash was slightly darker than the lower. Now its just a little bit lighter. I can't believe you could get the colors to match any better out of a spray can. I'm very happy with it. Time will tell how well it holds up. I did my entire upper dash including the passenger airbag cover and three vents as well as the two rear speaker grills. It took about 1 1/2 cans of paint and about the same for the low luster clear coat. I used dish soap and SEM Vinyl Prep and a lot of elbow grease. Cost about $70.00. Well worth the money.

Before

After
Great pictures! I know this is a revisited subject but I feel forum members love as much info as possible. Just for the record, what color codes did you go with? Your work looks really good. I'm pumped to do mine too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, I just started painting my interior...the SEM is a GREAT MATCH!!!! Especially if your interior looked as bad/dirty as mine...I'll post some before and after pics...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine feels like a new car. Wish I would have done it sooner. SEM makes a great product.

Now back to work on the exhaust.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great pictures! I know this is a revisited subject but I feel forum members love as much info as possible. Just for the record, what color codes did you go with? Your work looks really good. I'm pumped to do mine too. Thanks again!

Before

After
What clear coat did you use?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Where did you buy the SEM paint & prep at, Stoney?
Mike my Local Upholstery shop carries it. They are in Lynwood. on Atlantic ave. Go to the sem website and you should find a local dealers list.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Go to SEM's website, mail them and/or call them and buy it directly. I still have to return the call from talking to them earlier in the week via email...

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is what I used.

SEM 15393 Medium Gray
SEM 13023 Low Luster Clear
Prep-All Wax and Grease Remover To prep with.

So far it's holding up great. It has really changed the feeling of the interior. Well worth the effort.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought that the Storm Gray color would match the best and used it on some panels. The color turned out great but as you can see in my pictures, its a little off so Im gonna top of the panels with the SEM 15393 Medium Gray.

Here's what it looks like compared to an unpainted panelk and an old door panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Don't worry about the SEM holding up, I did the dash in my Caprice years ago and it still looks like new.

I didn't use the prep or the clear. I just scrubbed the crap out of it with soft scrub. When the water quit beading up, I let it dry and went to town.

Like I said, no clear and it still looks like new.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
To do what? If it's how to use SEM. It's like any other paint product. It's all in the prep.

Once your part is clean from any and all oils and debris, just spray it on in nice even light coats. Let it dry and install. It's as easy as spray painting an alternator bracket or something.

Before

After

1 - 20 of 24 Posts