Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From an e-mail I received today (edited):

AAIW 2002 Registration is now open! Plan now to attend SEMA and AAPEX, the world's largest automotive aftermarket trade shows November 5-8, 2002 in Las Vegas, NV

You'll save 80% on registration if you register online for $10 before September 27th. Fax or mail early registration is $20.

That's a 50% savings for pre-registration and 80% if you register on-site.
Just click http://www.expocard.com/shows/aiw021/mem/index.cfm? and register if you are an ISSCA member.

A great gathering with loads of stuff to see!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something you might want to consider if you possibly try to go to SEMA...

$10 spent now to register won't be missed for very long. If you aren't sure about going, and it turns out you can go, but you don't register before Sept 27 (which will be here sooner than we realize), its going to cost ALOT more to get in.

Something to think about--and remember, if you are an ISSCA member or belong to a chartered ISSCA club, you can attend SEMA.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I missed last years show, and I really want to be there this year. ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just signed up.....went last year, this is one COOL show!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna sign up today.
Did all of the ISSCA members stay at the same hotel last year. I wanna stay in the loop. Being my 1st trip to Vegas and all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am there,

last year it kind of freaked
me out because of SEPT 11th.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to go last year. I even registered. Things came up that kept me from going though. Once I get my next scheduale for school I'm gona see what I can do. The same hotel idea sounds like a plan as well. We should see if we can do that.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, you know I'm in :D :D

Had major fun 2 night in a row with a bunch of Impala people. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I'm missing something here..

On the registration is a required Company field. I work at a grocery store and have no reason to list that.. is this the box where we list our ISSCA membership?

Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For ISSCA members who have serious intentions of attending SEMA Las Vegas, I want to encourage you to get your credential request submitted as SOON as possible, online, and then check the online credential verification system to be sure you are "good to go".

Anyone who has not already done this, or runs in to any problems, please contact me directly and I'll do all I can to help you, including, if necessary, intervening with the folks at SEMA and CONVEXX to get you in.

Don't hesitate if you aren't sure you will go--its only $10 right now--until Sept 26. If you get approval then don't make the show, it's not a huge loss, so DO IT TODAY!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of this info might be helpful to you as you prepare for the SEMA Show:

When you fill out the credential request, use ISSCA as company name, and use YOUR
mailing address, as that is where the credential will be mailed to. I don't
know how fast CONVEXX will process applications at this point, but the
important thing is to assume (if you don't get rejected immediately) that
the request will go through.

Go to the last link below to look for your registration by name, if you've
already submitted the application. IF you don't find it, there are some
contacts on the website links below to let you reach the event support folks
to inquire about your registration.

The fast key code is a quick registration process for people that have been
to the event previously. They send a special e-mail with the key code, as
long as your information hasn't changed.

Here are some links that should help.....

Home page: http://www.sema.org/

General info for SEMA Show Las Vegas: http://sema.iconvention.com/sema/V33/index.cvn

To select a registration page: http://sema.iconvention.com/sema/V33/index.cvn?id=10004&p_navID=13

Use this link if you don't have a key code: http://www.expocard.com/shows/aiw021/domestic/index.cfm?assnsrc=

To verify request for registration credentials is approved: http://www.expocard.com/shows/aiw021/lookup/

Again, PLEASE do this in a timely manner, and if you run into a problem, get
back to me ASAP, and I will take it from there.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Navy Lifer ]

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me try to be clearer on the issue of who can go to SEMA events and who cannot.

ISSCA is a paid associate member of SEMA--Specialty Equipment Market Association. The club holds no voting rights in the operating decisions of the association. When the idea of joining SEMA was put forth, I checked into the particular issue of whether this type of membership gained us access to SEMA events, and I was told, and continue to be told by my contact, that it does.

As regards the SEMA show in Las Vegas, as well as other SEMA events, such as the Spring Expo held this year in the Chicago area--for the first time, I believe--they are considered "trade only", a term which means, loosely interpreted, that you gotta be in a business that has a tie to the sale of "speed parts", (but it's not quite that simple). These companies, on the event floor, pay "mucho dinero" to be there, via Convexx, the promotion group, and SEMA. They are there looking for buyers of their product. An ISSCA member wandering around the exhibit hall isn't a buyer, let's face it, and if "we" are there taking up a vendor's floor rep's time talking details on "what cam should I use", etc., it is not what they came there to do, and you should refrain from doing that. Still, I believe, as does the ISSCA board, that we should make an effort to be there--not, however, an "in your face" presence, which would be a quick way to get un-invited to the party--since we believe that there are opportunities through our visible presence at such an important event to continue to remind the vendors that we are out here. We want them to think of us when developing new products, if there are application-specific issues that need to be considered--Fluidampr's failed effort to provide an alternative is a good example of what I'm talking about. No good end to the Fluidampr story, yet--nor expected--but without the contact that has been made to this point, there would be no understanding of "why" as far as their failure to support LT1 applications.

So, while my main contact at SEMA says "send in your credential requests", it seems that the promotion group, which actually processes the "paperwork" has possibly decided to filter the applications and limit requests from car clubs (I don't know if they have singled out ISSCA, or if this is a general rule they are applying to all associate member groups) to "officers" of each organization. I am aware of one person whose request was initially accepted and then declined. I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances at this point, but I think the matter was resolved positively. Bottom line is I don't know, for sure, what will happen when you apply for a credential. I do know what will happen if you don't apply. I wish I could be more certain, and I plan to get more involved in this with SEMA at some point, via a club council or committee, since it does not appear that there is any official position, in writing, to support the policy of limiting access, even though ISSCA (and other Impala organizations have paid for the privilege of calling ourseleves "SEMA Member"--its just what somebody "thinks" ought to be the policy. I am trying to find that person or office to raise the issue and explain OUR side. I feel it is VERY important for us to be there to keep from being completely forgotten when it comes to the aftermarket, and the best way to do that is to be there in force.

It would be "nice" to have a "consumer" day at SEMA Las Vegas, but as a trade show, it is real work, and a huge expense for the companies that participate, to be there. That's why its during the week, and why it has a somewhat restricted access--the event has a main purpose, which is getting sellers and buyers together to make deals. So far, SEMA is only offering one consumer-oriented event, and that is held here in Southern California--called IAS, for International Auto Salon--which is geared toward the huge "rice" market, unfortunately. The strength of that market cannot be denied, but what about the rest of us??? We have to keep trying, and "pushing" our way into an event like SEMA is part of the process.

For now, don't be afraid to risk the $10 if you really want to go. If the request is declined, you won't lose the money. If you get the credential but then can't go because of some other reason or conflict, then you are only out $10. I realize there are other issues, such as planning the entire trip, and if you are flying, what happens if you get a plane seat then find out you can't get in....THAT is why you need to submit your credential request NOW if you haven't already. If you have, you can verify its status online here:
http://www.expocard.com/shows/aiw021/lookup/

IF you find your request declined, and still want to go, I need to hear from you ASAP. I'll work for and with any ISSCA member to gain access to the event.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bill,

Thank you for your efforts in promoting people's attendance at SEMA. I think this will be my fifth year in attendance, and it is very much worth it. SEMA is very much about business. I originally attended as part of one of the major aftermarket manufacturers. Half the reason I joined ISSCA was so that I could continue to attend.

It is worth it for us to go and make our voices heard. The first two years I went one of my objectives was to drop in on Fel-Pro's booth and inquire as to when they would be producing a one-piece pan gasket for the Mark IV big blocks. That gasket is now available. I am sure they heard from many more people besides myself, but one more voice can't hurt in the drive for a product--especially when that voice has a face and is obviously part of the market.

Don't let the vendors forget we exist. We love our cars, and we spend money on them. Most companies respect that and will cater to it. We just have to speak up.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anak,

Thanks for the post--it helps keep this event "on the map"....

As a reminder to all who may still be just thinking of being in Las Vegas for SEMA, you have to plan ahead. If you have not applied for a credential, do it now--online! If you ultimately decide not to go, or for some reason can't make it, you are only out $10. Do it today!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To remind those ISSCA members who intend to make the Las Vegas show, be sure to bring your ISSCA membership badge, in addition to other picture ID.

Credentials are being mailed out now, and if you did pre-register and have confirmed that registration on the SEMA website, be SURE to open your credential packet and check it, and read ALL the fine print!

Again, any problems, please contact me immediately, and I'll do all I can to help.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill,

It looks like I can go to the SEMA show this year since I won't have an elk hunting timing conflict. I know I'm cutting it close on registration, but hopefully it'll be OK. I'll shoot you an e-mail if there's a problem.

See you guys in Vegas!

Larry Walker

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man, after all those years of hoping to go to sema!!! thanks to issca i can go at last!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way, Les, there is a dress-code for SEMA. T-shirts aren't allowed at the show.... :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Navy Lifer:
By the way, Les, there is a dress-code for SEMA. T-shirts aren't allowed at the show.... :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

You must be kidding around, because I just got my SEMA packet in the mail and I see at least 3-4 guys wearing t-shirts in a picture in their brochure...

I dug out my ISSCA badge and found it expired 6/02. DOH! A quick trip to the ISSCA web site and an online renewal cured that problem. There should be plenty of time for my new badge to arrive before the show. Whew! Glad I looked at that before heading off to Vegas. Maybe they'd let me in, maybe they wouldn't...

Larry Walker

1 - 20 of 27 Posts