Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need to replace my rear rotors and calipers due to rear calipers seizing. The shop offers loaded calipers for $189 each. I think it is quite outrageous, as loaded calipers from Napa or Autozone run about $100 each with core charge. So, here are my questions:
Are loaded and semi-loaded calipers offered through major auto part retailers basically the same, or not?
Is it better to get semi-loaded calipers and supply my own pads, or the pads supplied should do just fine?
Thanks in advance for your help...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why not buy 2 new calipers from GM, PN 18021517 & 18021518, 2 Dorman caliper brackets PN 619-001, and the pads of your choice?

--New calipers from Dal or at cost+10% run $66.50 plus delivery or tax as applicable.

--Brackets with guide pins, boots and bolte are under $25 each at AutoZone.

--Pads of your choice, rather than what the remanufacturer chooses to use. I don't think you can go wrong using OE, personally, if you are not doing any "racy" stuff. PN 18021521--maybe $56, but the way I see it, you get what you pay for.

And if you do replace everything, be sure to use new caliper bracket mounting bolts, 12337902 OR be sure to put thread locking compound on the old bolts!

--No core fees

Will the shop install parts provided by the customer? Is the $189 quote just for the parts, or is that an installed price?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will, they just don't give you warranty on parts. $189 is a price per loaded caliper. Total in parts was around $572, labor with fluid flush was around $175. I thought Dal was charging core fee as well, thats why I didn't consider him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd prefer the new parts than to worry about whether "they" offer any warranty, if you're interested in saving money.

You always pay for a warranty, one way or another.

New parts typically do not incur a core charge. Reman parts usually do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if you do replace everything, be sure to use new caliper bracket mounting bolts, 12337902 OR be sure to put thread locking compound on the old bolts!
Amen to that! I wish whoever had touched mine last had been able to read this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI: Dal's prices:

Gm rear rotors 49.54 each
Rear duro pad set 37.38/set
Guide pins (4) 6.74 each
Brk.bolds (4) 1.60 each
Brkt boots (4) 2.78 each
Guide lock bolts (4) 1.08 each

Dorman brackets are $19.99 from Autozone.
Now, brackets come assembled with guide pins, bracket boots and bolts, right? So, the only parts I need to order from Dal are:
Calipers (2)
Pads-1 set
Guide lock bolts (4)
Caliper bracket mounting bolts, 12337902 (4?)
Thanks in advance...

[ 11-08-2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: NJraver1 ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks mostly correct--I'd still use the GM guide pin bolts, but they do come in the Dorman kit, though the bolts have a smaller head.

12337902--quantity 4 is correct

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.