Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

First time poster, frequent reader. The other day I was out havin a little fun in the SS and decided to make a little smoke. I turned hard left and did a couple of doughnuts, and when I finished I realized I had no power steering and the battery light was on. I popped the hood and saw that my serpentine belt was totally gone, which I found laying a few feet away perfectly intact. Long story short, I've decided to get a new belt. My first question is, should a couple of doughnuts be enough to pop a serpentine belt right off without snapping it? And second, what is the best brand of replacement belt for the stock LT1?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Goodyear Gatorback belts are generally recommended. Belts should generally just not pop off. I would check the belt tensioner and the harmonic balancer. On one of my cars the rubber ring in the balancer got deteriorated and caused the balancer to become loose. Also the belt tensioners are known to go bad. Both are fairly easy fixes, 2 bolt for the belt tensioner and 3 bolts for the balancer, however you will need to buy or rent a balancer puller(if you buy one I recommend replacing the stock bolts that come with it with grade 8 flange bolts as they are less prone to stretching and distortion than the "stock" bolts that come with the puller size of the bolts is 5/16" coarse threaded). - Peter

·
Registered
362 Posts
You shouldn't need a puller to remove the balancer unless it is rusted on. It just slips onto the hub.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You keep doing those doughnuts and you'll need more than a tensioner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts