Registered
1,992 Posts
that thing looks awesome! :D

...sorry, I can't help you with the oil pan issue. cwm5

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
ramp angle

can you not make an extension so the ramps are not as steep, sounds cheaper and easier than changing out the oil pan, cool rig by the way!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nice looking altered and a perfectly matching smiley: :D

The shortest wet sump pans I see are 7" deep. If you are only hitting on the trailer, you are either going to need longer ramps, or some extensions. Or, you can always just jack the front of the trailer up like we used to do with my super-low Nova (exactly 3" clearance everywhere):

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you are only hitting on the trailer, you are either going to need longer ramps, or some extensions. Or, you can always just jack the front of the trailer.
I see a lot of guys using the plactic Rhino ramps placing them under the rear wheels of the tow vehicle to raise the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Something much shallower is going to require a LOT of work to control oil under acceleration to keep from uncovering the pickup. If your class allows it, you may want to try to go to a dry sump system. Not cheap, but it will certainly allow you to get the bottom of the oil pan up closer to the crankshaft. A good dry sump system will also allow you to get better oil control in the crank case, possibly reducing parasitic HP losses due to oil on the rotating components.

Otherwise, as the others have indicated, get longer ramps, or put the rear wheels of the tow truck up on ramps to help reduce the angle from the ground to the ramp to the trailer floor. We have about 15' of _heavy_ steel ramps for our trailer to help load our C Prepared Firebird on the trailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.