Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just ordered the shave door kit , along with some smoothie bumpers for my caprice, but now the question im stuck on, is if i should keep the molding around the wheels, since im not too sure if i might like the smooth bumpers on it, or might want to go back to stock bumpers later on down the line...
therefore im looking for pics of people that have shaved doors and kept the wheel molding or got rid of it

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will also be doing the shaved doors and the wheel well molding delete. If you don't mind me asking, did you get the door kit from street trends or another place??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine from another place ... I'll get back to u with the brand I chose , but I kinda regret jumping to buy them cuz I went on street trends lately n seen they got the kit for all four doors, where I bought the kit just for the front doors lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got mine from another place ... I'll get back to u with the brand I chose , but I kinda regret jumping to buy them cuz I went on street trends lately n seen they got the kit for all four doors, where I bought the kit just for the front doors lol
I'm still looking for the right one. I've seen this kit in person. They are guaranteed for life if it ever gets rust. I saw it at a show that had a AVS booth. I'm still thinking if it can move our heavy door since I only say it on imports... oh and 1 box caprice.

http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.php?productid=1407&cat=138&page=1

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm still looking for the right one. I've seen this kit in person. They are guaranteed for life if it ever gets rust. I saw it at a show that had a AVS booth. I'm still thinking if it can move our heavy door since I only say it on imports... oh and 1 box caprice.

http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.php?productid=1407&cat=138&page=1
This is the kit you guyz want. I have AutoLoc Solenoids on my Astro. I have had these on for over 8yrs before they made kits and it still works. http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/auto...s&refid=5021&gclid=CI-Pw-Kc-6MCFUcz5wodfS49Hw

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm still thinking if it can move our heavy door since I only say it on imports... oh and 1 box caprice.
Remember the solenoids dont push your door open. They only pull the latch, which in my opinon only takes about 10lbs. Its the little spring loaded popper that actually does the hard part of the job of pushing the door open. Which actually isnt that hard if your door is adjusted halfway close. The door rubber/seal normally pushes the door open without the popper. Think about it, when you lift you door handle you dont have to PULL your door open. It generaly comes open 3/4" or so due to the pressure of the door rubbers.

IMO....dont waste your money on the 60lbs soleniods. I think the 35lbs are overkill. I've installed at least a dozen kits and I have used the 15lb 'ers on most with no probelms.

As long as your door latch opens and shuts freely it shouldnt take that much force to trigger the latch, if it does I'd fix it with a little W-D 40.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Remember the solenoids dont push your door open. They only pull the latch, which in my opinon only takes about 10lbs. Its the little spring loaded popper that actually does the hard part of the job of pushing the door open. Which actually isnt that hard if your door is adjusted halfway close. The door rubber/seal normally pushes the door open without the popper. Think about it, when you lift you door handle you dont have to PULL your door open. It generaly comes open 3/4" or so due to the pressure of the door rubbers.

IMO....dont waste your money on the 60lbs soleniods. I think the 35lbs are overkill. I've installed at least a dozen kits and I have used the 15lb 'ers on most with no probelms.

As long as your door latch opens and shuts freely it shouldnt take that much force to trigger the latch, if it does I'd fix it with a little W-D 40.
I strongly diagree. I originally had those wimpy solenoids which work ok for about a month then crap out on you.The problem is that the solenoid has to pull for for a second and hold. The smaller solenoid pulls but doesn't hold. Those solenoids are usually are made for trunks since trunks just need to click open and not hold.I do recomend good poppers with the rubber ends but I had used just a spring with a washer to hold it in place which worked fine.You see when I first installed these, poppers weren't around like they are now.You just had to make due what you can get at a hardware store.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Shaved handles look cool but are a pain, If its a daily driver I would not do it,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts