Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off let me say hello to the forum. i wish my first post was under better circumstances, but i have a problem. my trunk keyhole is shaved and i guess the actuator burnt out, because my trunk will not open. is there any way to get it open? my trunk doesn't seal very well so theres about a 1/4" gap between the body and the lid. other than that i have no clue. thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
not that I know of, you can try to pull the license plate light out, and get a racheting flat head bit up into the slot. you may be able to turn it enough to pop it open.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by bgdsub72:
not that I know of, you can try to pull the license plate out, and get a racheting flat head bit up into the slot. you may be able to turn it enough to pop it open.
i tried something like that. i jammed a flathead in between the striker and the latch, but i couldn't turn it. guess i'll try again. i really need to get it open because my floor jack is in there just rolling around.

btw... i like your 'burban. i'm thinking of doing a '72 c-10.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
call me johnny knoxville, 'cause i'm a jack*ss. rule #1 = check the fuse. too bad i already tore up my filler to see if i could get to the lock assembly. oh well, needs to go to the body shop anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take out the back seat and with some long extensions, remove the two bolts holding the latch. I can't remember for sure but I think they are a #10 socket.

Carl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by darth:
Take out the back seat and with some long extensions, remove the two bolts holding the latch. I can't remember for sure but I think they are a #10 socket.

Carl
talk about a PITA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i think i would have cut a hole in the lid before i did all that. it was just a blown fuse though. thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think you could rig up a inside trunk opener like some cars have 2 day if someone is locked inside? I know some audis have this.

Just something mechanical would be cool to have as a backup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might be able to access the latch mechanism by removing the license plate light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by threeimpalas:
You might be able to access the latch mechanism by removing the license plate light.
that would be the only possiblity other then the 3 foot socket extension through the back seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, in this instance you can take the light out and turn the shaft with a long pair of needle nose me thinks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if nothing else take a sawsall blade in there and cut it, replacing the latch will be easier than redoing paint and body work

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A long common screwdriver will work perfect in the slot that the lock rod used to go in. I'm pretty sure you can get it through the license light hole, but if not, just drill about a 3/8" inch hole in the flat spot under the deck lid right above the lic. light, and it will be almost a straight shot. Then just put a plastic plug in the hole and keep it for emergency access.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Numbskull:
A long common screwdriver will work perfect in the slot that the lock rod used to go in. I'm pretty sure you can get it through the license light hole, but if not, just drill about a 3/8" inch hole in the flat spot under the deck lid right above the lic. light, and it will be almost a straight shot. Then just put a plastic plug in the hole and keep it for emergency access.
Of course! What the hell was I thinking...

Shaved lock, no rod. Good cure numbskull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I performed the same mod. You can actually have the key lock installed and have it as a backup. There is enough room near the license lite that will allow you to put the keylock back in. You have to bend over to unlock with the key but it works well incase the solenoid fails. Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
those contemplating shaving the trunk and wanting to install a backup key activated would do well to look at the ford clown victoria, it uses an 18" remote cable from the actuator to the latch that would allow some inventive mounting positions. ford does this to drop the keyhole down to the bottom right tailight area. - fyi for any mod monsters out there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.