Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd belt in 3 weeks at the track.

Got home tonight and found 1/2 the belt gone.

Noticed that the belt is on the back grooves on the balancer and on the front grooves of the alternator. the shedding is coming from the inside (back) edge.

Replaced Tensioner last weekend .

This ain't funny as SSH10 is in 2 weeks . What else to look for ?

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
That's a possibility. going to check it in the morning.
Check that your crank hub isn't spinning, too. I had the exact same problem when mine was.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
3rd belt in 3 weeks at the track.

Got home tonight and found 1/2 the belt gone.

Noticed that the belt is on the back grooves on the balancer and on the front grooves of the alternator. the shedding is coming from the inside (back) edge.

Replaced Tensioner last weekend .

This ain't funny as SSH10 is in 2 weeks . What else to look for ?
I have checked your sanity. Even got a 2nd a 3rd opinion - your sanity is long gone. I think the primary problem here is the loose nut behind the wheel. :D

See you Wednesday.

P.S. No, I have nothing constructive to add about your belt issue. Maybe you need an A/C delete pulley. ;)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
"Noticed that the belt is on the back grooves on the balancer and on the front grooves of the alternator. the shedding is coming from the inside (back) edge."

I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by this. You can't possibly mean that not all grooves are making contact with the belt in those places. That is too easy. If you have that kind of misalignment, that is your problem........but someone else would have mentioned that by now. So ???

·
Registered
639 Posts
check that the balancer doesn't have play, also check the power steering pulley to be sure it is fully seated.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
A very easy check for you is to grab a wrench and see if the crank hub bolt is loose. If it is, the crank hub is spinning, the bolt is backing out and the hub is walking forward. The fix is a keyed hub, which is simple enough to install. If you don't fix it, the hub will walk itself all the way off.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"May" have found the issue.

Pulled the balancer and found 3 good chips out of the front 3 ribs.

Replaced the balancer and we shall see.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, tell us more about the parts combination , as in what
crank key (96 or 94-95)
Hub (96 or 94-95)

Reluctor, yes or no

Yeah, it has a 96 full OBDII motor with reluctor, crank trigger and hub.

I double checked the hub while I had the balancer off. I updated to a keyed hub about a year ago, just forgot about it. Checked torque on crank bolt to 75 ft lbs. hub did not move.

Ran the car a couple of hard sprints this afternoon, no problems noted. Proof in the pudding.

We shall see.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Mine is also doing this....PS pump is fully seated, but havent checked the hub.
Keepin a spare belt in the trunk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts