Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the day when my surgeon-mechanic gets down to business and operates on my beloved 96 IMP
the 'surgery' includes an intercooled ATI-Procharger-supercharger , 3:73 gears ,160 t-Stat , new plugs+wires ,Airpump delete ,and Hypertech programming.
So if everyone would take a second to push a positive Karmic style thought towards Charlotte NC I'd be gratefull :D She's expensive today but oh so worth it!!!

So whats next I wonder? Headers? Suspension?
All thoughts are greatly appreciated.....
Now I can start to build a sig on this forum ,man the projects just never seem to stop!
Ian
(p.s Am I the only British guy on the forum?? just curious...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like it's going to be a fast car.
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
I would definitely go with headers as your next mod. Since you'll have the ATI on there, adding the headers will probably net you something like an additional 30-40 HP over the stock exhaust manifolds.
-Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 3/4" Long tube headers, high flow cats, and aftermarket catback would greatly improve upon that combo you are getting. Also, get Bryan Herter or Ed Wright programming, since the hypertech is almost worthless. New driveshaft and safety loop(a must), as well as a rebuilt trans and new converter(like a Vigilante around 2600 for your setup) will also add to this combo. Maybe a good set of tires will really be needed after all this(like drag radials for the rears). Good luck and have fun.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'd say headers are a good bet, if you're increasing the flow in you need to be able to get it out. let us know when this bad boy gets done. i've been wanting to take a look at the ATI and figured it would have to wait til the shootout. some of our club could head down to charlotte one weekend or if you run thru greensboro let me know. rock on, rus

"just when they thought they had me by the balls, they found out their hands weren't big
enough" Montgomery Burns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't mind driving to Greensboro to meet up with you guys one evening/weekend just to get out on the open road for 45 mins.I live in North Charlotte so it shouldn't me take to long.
I agree with all the posts so far regarding headers being the next mod. I'm not into heavy sounding motors ,prefering stealth over sound ,and I don't have the first idea of what make model headers I should go with.Ideas again given my preferences are welcome.
Ian
P.S Whats the 'Shootout'?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS-BritGuy:
I wouldn't mind driving to Greensboro to meet up with you guys one evening/weekend just to get out on the open road for 45 mins.I live in North Charlotte so it shouldn't me take to long.
I agree with all the posts so far regarding headers being the next mod. I'm not into heavy sounding motors ,prefering stealth over sound ,and I don't have the first idea of what make model headers I should go with.Ideas again given my preferences are welcome.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Headers don't really contribute much to sound unless you remove the catalytic converters, so I don't think you'll have to be concerned with loudness (regardless of your header choice). That's more a function of your cat-back exhaust and whether or not you delete the catalytic converters.

You will, however, have to worry about which headers fit with the supercharger in place.
I think I remember reading somewhere about certain brands of headers not fitting with a supercharger, and that may or may not apply to the ATI.

The Quad-1's or Tri-Y's (see www.clearimageautomotive.com ... the owner is a forum member and has unbeatable customer service) will almost certainly fit with any supercharger since they go directly back and down-ward in the engine bay. They are, however, the most expensive choice since they require buying high-performance catalytic converters (given the fact that you want stealth). They are also the most desirable since they seem to perform the best.

The less expensive options are the various "shorty" headers (SLP, AS&M, Borla, and Hooker). They bolt right up in place of the stock exhaust manifolds (i.e. leaving the stock catalytic converters in place), but they are the ones that may have spatial issues with a supercharger, so you may want to check with others who have the ATI before buying any of those.

Good luck,
-Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.