Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 impala that i installed the blazer floor shifter a few years ago now im having problems at random shifting out of park it wont release.can i bypass the shift from park solenoid?

·
Registered
586 Posts
If it's configured the same way the stock 96 B-body park solenoid is, yes. That solenoid is normally-off, and energized when the car is started. Putting your foot on the brake momentarily turns the power off allowing you to pull the shifter out of park.

I had a similar problem with our 96 SS. It was getting to the point that I was afraid I'd be stranded at work with the stupid thing not coming out of park. I simply unplugged the park solenoid, and haven't looked back. So it can't hurt to try in your instance.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
For testing only

There are two solenoids on the brava shifters.

One is connected to ignition power (Dk green/white cavity B). This one locks the shifter when the key is off and unlocks when you have the car running.

The second works backwards to the first. (Lt green/black cavity E) It is locked by power and released by power turning Off. It is usually wired to the old shift solenoid. This is the cruise control brake switch.

You would check cavity B for power when the car is running and that power to cavity E goes off when you hit the brakes.

This means you might have a problem with the cruise/brake switch or a broken connection to the B circuit.

Check cavity F (black) for a good ground.

For temporary bypass testing take the shift boot off.
On the right side there is a manual override lever(white). Pull it towards the shifter (left) to get out of park. At the base of this lever is a white disk that goes right when the electric release works. The manual override also pushes it right. If you place something like a cable tie in this area to block the disk returning to the left you defeat the shift lock.

These two solenoids on the brava shifters are known to fail so if your power is right you might need a new shifter.

Different year shifters have different wire colors and people install this shifter in different ways so it is hard to help over the internet.

Please fix the shiftlock.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
due to work i haven't had a chance to check this out but as gene b said i keep getting stranded at places because i never know when its going to happen.might start dozens of times then all of a sudden shifter button wont engage .i keep the car running and keep wiggling shifter and it has always come loose but need to get this fixed.going to try unplugging the solenoid first at steering column.thats where the wires that z09b4u was talking about coming from the shifier.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Your brake switch may not be breaking the circuit for the press brake to shift function.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i finally got to check it out today.i unplugged the shift from park solenoid and seams to be fine.will take it for a drive later but works perfect so far.thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts