Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please can anyone help me out on my 96 i have this problem that when i start her up its hard to put it in gear im almost hanging on the shifter to make it shift and sometimes my hand gets tired from trying so much any help my friends and thank you

· Premium Member
5,440 Posts
you need to isolate the problem.
assuming its an SS and not a caprice.
disconnect the cable at the trans lever to see if its the trans.
take apart the shift console and see if its the shifter or lockout solenoid binding.
if thats ok then its probably the trans cable which is no longer made, altho the F-body cable can be made to work.

· Banned
3,437 Posts
please can anyone help me out on my 96 i have this problem that when i start her up its hard to put it in gear im almost hanging on the shifter to make it shift and sometimes my hand gets tired from trying so much any help my friends and thank you
these vehicles impala/caprice do have a problem with the shift interlock. you place your foot on the brake pedal and a solenoid moves a locking rod so the shifter can move. these can get dirty and a cleaning and some lube[not WD40] gets it working again.

· Registered
80 Posts
these vehicles impala/caprice do have a problem with the shift interlock. you place your foot on the brake pedal and a solenoid moves a locking rod so the shifter can move. these can get dirty and a cleaning and some lube[not WD40] gets it working again.
Where is this solenoid located? I ended up having to remove the shifter cover amd smack the middle rod on order for it to change gears. When i step on brake pedal you can hear a loud clicking noise. Is this possivle a solenoid problem. After the initial shift out pf park i have no problem shifting between gears

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.