Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm not sure when the last time my front shock absorbers where changed or who did them...I'm replacing them and get to upper nut and it won't budge...put vice grips on the shock absorber base and still could not get the nut to loosened all...what should I do? :-(

·
Registered
531 Posts
Put a deep socket on it with a long extension.
Find the angle you can bend it back & forth in
Keep bending until it breaks
Takes about 30sec

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Takes about 30sec
+1 on this.

I know it sounds stupid, but you're not going to try to re-use the old shocks anyway (are you?) Stick a deep-well socket on an extension, put the socket over the top nut & shaft of the shock, bend it back and forth (should take 6 to 8 times max) and snap that sucker off.

It cost me a case of beer to learn this and you got it for free!

HTH

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you thank you...sounds great...I didn't think about that yesterday...lol it cost me a whole morning and breaking a pair of vice grips, and all my sanity!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Snapping them is how I did it for decades. Then I got a fancy $300 compressor and can spin old ones off with an impact now. The old way is still faster though. An impact is actually a good way to install them new.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Snapping them is how I did it for decades. Then I got a fancy $300 compressor and can spin old ones off with an impact now. The old way is still faster though. An impact is actually a good way to install them new.
I spun my shocks apart last week with an impact wrench. I can't imagine how breaking them could be any faster...

-KP

·
Registered
661 Posts
Takes about 30sec

This didn't work on mine, my homeboy had to end up actually cutting it off with a dremel. GL

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Doing the snap method on the passenger side is tough, what with the A/C lines and all.

Vise Grips should go on the shock rod, not the body of the shock. Penetrating oil on the nut, and go to town. An impact works better than a ratchet though. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts